PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Goldfinch feeding

Diane Miller
06-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Just got this today -- I noticed the juvie begging and soon a parent came along to oblige. I think it was doing fine at the niger feeder, but you know how hard it is these days to convince the kids to go off on their own and support themselves.

Canon 5D3, 600 II with 25mm extension tube to get a little closer. Big Gitzo and Wimberley II. ISO 1600, f/13, 1/640. Flash on HSS with Better Beamer, off-camera 30 degrees left.

They were in the shade (setup perch at feeder) with fill flash and I've tried many variations on color both in raw conversion and PS -- can't get a balance I'm really happy with. Hope he's still hungry tomorrow!

Basic conversion in LR5 and to PS CS6 for some minor cloning of the BG and NR (but that wasn't really necessary). It's hard to tell from this, but the fine feathers on the parent's cheek are tack sharp. DOF at this magnification is very small. I was lucky as they were not sitting still and this is the only shot I got with contact between them. No sharpening except the LR default and the Standard setting for LR export. I could probably punch up the JPEG a little, but the fine detail is so close to the noise it might not be very successful.

David Salem
06-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Pretty cool interaction shot Diane. Critical focus looks to be right on the heads or even the beaks which is perfect, that's where the action is.
Great that we can even see the seed coming up and being grabbed by Jr. Very nice perch and a unique complementary BG color round off this sweet capture. Nice work

Joseph Przybyla
06-05-2014, 07:56 AM
I like it Dianne, the interaction is wonderful adding to the image. Good background, perch and colors. Thank you for sharing.

KathieThomas
06-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Lovely shot and how lucky were you to get that? Love the detail, particularly of their feet.

Binu John
06-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Awesome shot, Diane! You captured a wonderful interaction! Love the perch and BG! Brilliant use of ET to get close to this action with a long lens!

Diane Miller
06-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks, folks! Junior seemed to be on his own today.