PDA

View Full Version : Hope You Like Take-Out!! American Robin.

Daniel Cadieux
06-04-2014, 05:48 AM
Taken in my backyard. I observed this fella come down on my lawn a few times gathering large amounts of food, so I decided to grab the camera and stake it out for another run. It did come back, of course, as when a jackpot hits the birds return to pick off easy meals. At first I thought it was taking grubs, which would have been bad news for my lawn, but it turns out these were caterpillars or worms of some sort. The nest is located at a neighbours' but my yard is the buffet location of choice:S3:. For this image the subject came in closer for a near full-frame look at its' catch.

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/250s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, small crop from below and left, a large bright ugly dandelion stem cloned out at right.

Gabriela Plesea
06-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Very cool image and I just love that beak filled with caterpillars! You have so much going on in your backyard, Daniel - it looks like you do not have to go far to do your photography!

Sharp and great colours, subject pops well against that lovely soft BG. I could not help it but think of spagetti when I saw the poor caterpillars:bg3:

Great work Daniel, you always have something interesting to share-thank you!

Kind regards,

KathieThomas
06-04-2014, 07:34 AM
What an awesome shot Daniel. Love it!

Satish Ranadive
06-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Magnificent portrait of beautiful bird on lovely BG. Beautiful colors,great fine details and nice composition.I like the caterpillars in his beak.
Love the frame, Daniel Sir.

Regards,
Satish.

Bill Dix
06-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Great capture. Amazing that he would take so many at once. Sort of like going to Sam's Club, to save on trips to the store. Thanks for sharing.

John Robinson
06-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Shows the detail of food that a hed shot can produce. Nice one. The grass leaves put it in context too.
Cheers
JohnR

Ivan Sjögren
06-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Beautiful shot Daniel!

I like the soft light which brings out the colors nicely. The bg, sharpnes and exposure is spot on. Those caterpillars are a really nice addition.

I agree that the leaves makes it more interesting even if I was sceptical at first.

Binu John
06-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Beautiful shot! Love the pose, BG, light and IQ! TFS

David Salem
06-05-2014, 12:29 AM
What a mouthful!! Doing what parent Robins do best. Nice detailed closeup of this bird collecting food and I like the smooth BG and the plants below. Nice work Daniel