PDA

View Full Version : In the Realm of the Gods

Dvir Barkay
06-03-2014, 10:45 PM

Taken last summer in Turkey. Will be back there again this year! This is a shot from Priene, an ancient Greek City, is located on a peninsula in Western Turkey. It is situated at the base of an impressive mountain (seen behind the pillars). It is most famous for these pillars. I waited until a person stood next to them to show their size. I liked the perspective with the rocks, but I am not sure it will be for everyone. It is a bit tight, but this is the widest my lens goes. It looks like it needs a slight clockwise rotation, but its just that its an upward looking angle that I shot and its a bit distorted.

Sony A700, Sony 16-50/2.8, F/11, 16mm, ISO 200, Tripod, 2013

Don Railton
06-05-2014, 11:38 PM
Hi Dvir

I think I might have liked a bit more isolation between the pillars and the mountain, the LH pillar has blended into the mountain as shown. I also think I would have got a little closer to the pillars because that big FG rock has almost half the frame to itself when you wanted to show the pillars and the mountain.. finally that man need to be closer to the pillars IMHO to show their size, he probably should be on the rock platform that the pillars are on.. As it stands its difficult to gauge the distance between him and the pillars and so I still have difficulty judging the pillar height. My ideas anyway, others may think different..

regards

DON

Dvir Barkay
06-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the reply, I agree that its a bit busy and the man isn't in the frame enough. I do like the image, but in hindsight it seems like I tried to put too much in.

Diane Miller
06-12-2014, 10:26 PM
I like the way the FG rock, vegetation and shadows lead me into the image. I think I'd clone out the figure -- looks like it would be easy.

Rachel Hollander
06-18-2014, 07:23 AM
Hi Dvir - I like the upward angle to show the size of the columns. If possible I would have moved to the right in the field to avoid the vegetation being so prominent and to bring in a bit more of the mountain and also avoided the man being in the image. As is, I would remove him if it is within your ethics.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
06-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Hi Dvir, I do agree on evicting the man and a less prominent foreground vegetation would have been my preference, but without the man it will still work. I wonder when you go back again this year if you tried a horizontal, in closer and at a lower perspective to put the tops of each pillar against the sky.

Dvir Barkay
06-20-2014, 12:23 AM
Hi Dvir, I do agree on evicting the man and a less prominent foreground vegetation would have been my preference, but without the man it will still work. I wonder when you go back again this year if you tried a horizontal, in closer and at a lower perspective to put the tops of each pillar against the sky.

Thank you all for the replies, I will hopefully be in the same region again, maybe I shall try some night photography at the ruins. I think I might need a wider angle to capture all the pillars from up close if I were to get any closer. I really do need to invest in a good wide angle lens. I shall try some more things if I get the chance this year, I was there for only an hour, and I think more time would have led to better composition here.

Diane Miller
06-20-2014, 02:59 PM
This looks like it could be an awesome place for night photography! Hoe we'll get to see the results here!

Arthur Morris
06-20-2014, 07:33 PM
I am fine with the man and with the image design. Mixed light, part sun, part shade is however, fatal to most images including this one :).

Dvir Barkay
06-22-2014, 01:16 AM
Thanks Arthur, will be back there in a few months, hoping for better results.

Morkel Erasmus
06-22-2014, 02:37 PM
Hi Dvir - I deleted your last post as it contained a totally different image - please do post it as a separate thread.

I can see what you were trying to do lining up the composition like that, but to me it's just a bit cluttered and dense. The man doesn't add much for me, and I would have liked an even closer perspective to the ruins - close and wide and low?