PDA

View Full Version : One More Step

Dvir Barkay
06-03-2014, 10:36 PM

Trying my new 1DmrkIII and Canon 300/2.8 IS. I wanted to see the High ISO and I think its really quite good compared to what crop sensors can do. This was taken handheld at dusk in a dark forest, so not only did it have to be ISO 3200, I had to underexpose by -2/3 stop to get a high enough shutter speed. Overall I think its quite good considering the circumstances. Certainly none of my past cameras could do this. I went for a very natural dark forest color, so the saturation is very natural, hope that isn't a problem.

Canon 1DmrkIII, Canon 300/2.8 L IS USM, Canon x1.4TCII, F/4, ISO 3200, 1/200, 65% of original

Jonathan Ashton
06-04-2014, 04:28 AM
It looks good to me good timing and good detail despite the low lighting and dark coloration. I am not too sure it was necessarily the best idea to underexpose as this will generate noise (sorry if you already know this - but perhaps 3200 is the highest available ISO - I don't know) Despite the reservation the image quality looks good and I think you have captured the environmental atmosphere very well.

Dvir Barkay
06-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks, the highest limit on the 1DmrkIII is ISo 3200, with 6400 available as an expanded ISO. I didn't want to go up to the 6400, even the 3200 was used with reservation. Because that was my limit and i was shooting wide open, the only option I had left to "freeze" the turtle was to underexpose and thus get higher shutter speed. I know that it adds noise, but I always find that if you nail focus, that noise is much less of a problem, and here it was surprisingly good (maybe not D4s good, but compared to crop cameras).

Neil Burton
06-05-2014, 02:32 AM
ISO3200 on the mkIII is suprisingly good and always looked better than what I get on the mk4, shame the one I had could not focus. The problem of course is when cropping the 10MP images. This looks pretty good though, a little dark, maybe try ISO6400 next time with no underexpsure ;)

Andreas Liedmann
06-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Hi Dvir regarding the circumstances you did very well i think.
Nice low POV and room for the moving turtle.
I would reduce cyans /magenta /reds selectively though.

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
06-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Hey Dvir - IQ came out quite nicely for this high ISO on the 1Dm3.
It feels just a touch too dark but I can appreciate your apprehension to lighten it even more. Good advice above on the colour adjustment from Andreas.

Gabriela Plesea
06-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Hello Dvir!

Great IQ at 3200 ISO, cannot see much noise and I really like the image overall, the only nits being the slight colour casts (easy to remove) and I agree with the other members above, the subject looks a bit too dark-how about a luminance layer on the shadowy bits on this fellow? Well done on capturing this, those guys are slow movers perhaps, but given the circumstances (dark forest, lack of good light, movement of subject) you have done remarkably well, wish you did not underexpose though:tinysmile_shy_t:. Easy to say when one sits in front of the computer at home I know, anyway, I do like this very much, a couple of tweaks and you could it up a notch, great capture and I thank you for sharing it with us!!!

Kind regards,

edwardselfe
06-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Most things covered. I would like to see a little more space above and slightly less below if possible.
Ed