PDA

View Full Version : In Blades of Green

Dvir Barkay
06-03-2014, 10:19 PM

My first post to this section of the forum. I was trying my new Canon 300/2.8 IS, and I liked the intimate view that it gave me. The sun was setting casting a nice light through the tall grass, and I liked the snail? that stood out. Certainly not my usual style of shooting so hoping for ideas and comments. I wish there wasn't the hot spot on the grass, but I couldn't do too much about that.

1DmrkIII, Canon 300/2.8 IS, Canon x1.4TCII, F/4.5, ISO 1250, 1/200s, Handheld, 2014

Jonathan Ashton
06-04-2014, 04:23 AM
I think it is a good idea, an unusual perspective. The snail looks almost lost in the grass jungle but I think that was the intention, i.e. to bring the observer's eye to something they might well ordinarily not see. Regarding the highlight if you go back to your file and in Photoshop press AltCtrlShift2 (all simultaneously) you will find all your brightest highlights are selected.** The simplest thing you could try first is the Burn tool or you could try a brush having selected the colour of the grass adjacent to the highlighted area. There are a number of other more sophisticated methods but I think this will help.
**Having made the selection it is sometimes wise to Refine the Edge a little so it is not clearly delineated. Hope this helps.

Steve Maxson
06-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Hi Dvir and welcome to the Macro forum! I like the lighting (other than the burned out area :S3:) and you have an interesting blend of greens-yellows-blues. Good sharpness where you most need it and a good background. The snail is a nice touch and gives our eye something to grab onto. I would wish that the tall grass blade on the left wasn't clipped by the top of the frame. This might be a subject that would also look good in a vertical format. Overall, this is nicely done and I hope to see more of your work here in Macro!

Dvir Barkay
06-22-2014, 01:27 AM
Hi Dvir and welcome to the Macro forum! I like the lighting (other than the burned out area :S3:) and you have an interesting blend of greens-yellows-blues. Good sharpness where you most need it and a good background. The snail is a nice touch and gives our eye something to grab onto. I would wish that the tall grass blade on the left wasn't clipped by the top of the frame. This might be a subject that would also look good in a vertical format. Overall, this is nicely done and I hope to see more of your work here in Macro!

Thank you so much, I hope to explore the awesome world of macro and intimate landscapes like this a lot more in the future alongside my usual work.