PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Flight

Dvir Barkay
06-03-2014, 09:53 PM

Tried my new Canon 300/2.8 IS, great lens! Got some nice sharp bird images, but the light and poses weren't worth posting. In the end, I decided to post this shot. The flying geese flew right over the horizon as the sun was setting and illuminating the clouds with a really bright orange light. The shutter speed was fast enough to not overexpose the sky and helped make for a nice silhouette. I wish there was a bit more room to the left, but that was the edge of the frame. Hopefully in the coming months I shall be able to get some really great bird shots with the new setup.

Canon 1DmrkIII, Canon 300/2.8 L IS, Canon x1.4TC, 1/8000s, ISO 1600, F/7.1, Handheld, 2014

gail bisson
06-04-2014, 04:25 AM
Nice colors going on here and nice to have 3 different wing positions. I like the clouds below the geese. Adds some nice texture.
Your settings are interesting!!1/8000 but it worked.
In hindsight (it is so easy to be an armchair critic!) I would have focused on bird #1 thus giving you more room at the front and getting rid of the trailing bird #4 because his wing position is the same as #2 bird.
If not against your ethics, you could also crop from the RHS and move that canvas to the LHS,
Gail

Gabriela Plesea
06-04-2014, 07:40 AM
I really like this, Dvir! Love to see something different and one can do so much with a little imagination...

I might share a similar image with you one of these days, I have to first look for it...see what you think...In mine one of the birds is scratching its beak while in flight, whoever looked at it burst into laughter straight away...

Just a last thought... I did a pano crop with mine, was going to suggest it here but those clouds of yours are fabulous and add to the image. Love the colours too-well done:5

Kind regards,

Dvir Barkay
06-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Thank you both for the reply!
Gail- The crazy shutter speed helped with the sky, it was rather bright, in hindsight it might have been a bit excessive, but you always learn from such mistakes. I know Arthur is really great at making really well done expanded canvases and I am sure this is an easy image to do that with, but I am rather horrid at the photoshop manipulations like cloning and canvas expansion.
Gabriela- I am glad that you like it, like you say, it is a bit different. And like you say the clouds really add here. I would be happy to see your image, I always like new and unique perspectives.

Binu John
06-04-2014, 11:06 AM
Very nice silhouette, Dvir! I like the colors and the clouds below the birds! Well done!

Daniel Cadieux
06-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Looks like you were flying high above the clouds with the geese...very neat effect you got here. Very pleasing shades of orange. You did not need 1/8000s. but this camera can handle what were previously considered "high" ISOs...

arash_hazeghi
06-04-2014, 05:41 PM
I like the clouds and nice tones, but I am not crazy about the birds with pancake wing position. a 16:9 pano crop works much better for shots like this

TFS