PDA

View Full Version : Southern Elephant Seal bulls fighting

Andreas Liedmann
06-03-2014, 01:59 PM
Yep another seal image , taken far more south on South Georgia Island in Cooper Bay .
Very misty day to take nice grey images , we had very dense haze/fog on that location in parts.
These two have been fighting very quickly , the one on the left gave up very early . There was a half circle of photogs around the scene , as the left seal ran backwards in the direction of the photogs one could see them jumping all over the place , finally one forgot his tripod with lens …………. but luckily nothing got damaged.

Could be dangerous getting too close………. from time to time :bugeyed:.

Canon EOS MK III
Ef 24-105 IS L at 45 mm
Handheld

Cropped for comp.

F 8 ; 1/500 sec ; Iso 1000 ; should have taken F10 for more DOF

Processed with Photo Ninja and PS CC ; slight color manoeuvre in LAB ; after upload i would suggest to myself to add some mid tone for more richness in tones :bg3: :t3

Thanks for watching and leaving your thoughts on previous posts.

Cheers Andreas

christopher galeski
06-04-2014, 04:22 AM
nice capture,like the pose,reminds me of a pair of bookends:S3:.

Jonathan Ashton
06-04-2014, 04:32 AM
Nice timing I like the poses, by mid tone what are you referring to - colour and or contrast?
I see you must have been pretty close at 45mm - not so sure I would have gone that close - I have a keen sense of self preservation!

Neil Burton
06-05-2014, 02:23 AM
Love the staring down at the little guy pose, would love to visit that island one day!

Andre Pretorius
06-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Hi Andreas

Would not like to be the book with those two bookends!

Difficult light to shoot and get detail, well done under difficult conditions.

Bits of snow in FG looks a bit hot and lacking detail, but IS among black rocks.

Hard image to comment on..

Marc Mol
06-06-2014, 09:58 AM
I like the book-end symmetry of action here with this pair Andreas, it's unfortunate that the lighting conditions were not in your favour.