PDA

View Full Version : bittersweet nightshade

Ron Conlon
06-03-2014, 08:51 AM
I like the complementary colors and dramatic shape of the flowers of this wild nightshade (Solanaceae). The flowers typically come in bunches larger than this, I picked one with fewer blossoms to keep it simple. Wikipedia gives many common names for it, my mother always called it deadly nightshade, which it is not. The berries are poisonous, so close enough for her parents I imagine.
My mother has fond memories of eating salads of dandelion greens in spring on the farm as a child, so they ate what the wilds provided. When I was young she would collect dandelions from the edges of fields and wild leek (ramps) from woodlands to bring home. I don't have fond memories of that, food-like-substances that came in cereal boxes were more interesting to me then. But now I forage for ramps and dandelions myself, since they charge a premium for them at Whole Foods.
In a white box with background and remote flash, tripod, D5100 200mm 1/200s f/14

John Robinson
06-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Love it ! Amazing - I,ve just photographed the same flower !! Its growing up around my bird table.

Like the positioning of the flower in this one and it certainly pops !!
Great Stuff
JohnR

Jonathan Ashton
06-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Love it! I like the lighting and the background, the flower heads contrast beautifully. Perhaps the forward pointing leaf is a little dominant, but I don't suppose there is a great deal you could have done about that even altering the angle it would have been large.
The light box is excellent I must get round to making one.

Diane Miller
06-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Just gorgeous, Ron! Composition and lighting are superb!

Arthur Morris
06-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Superbly done. You have the technique nailed. Love the arrangement.

Mitch Carucci
06-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Beautiful. It really jumps right out. I have been trying to photograph the same, but with less success. Thanks also for the info. I didn't know what it was.