Nikon D2Xs
Nikkor 24-120 f/3.5-f/.6
15s @ f/19
0 EV
ISO 100

Robert Amoruso
05-19-2008, 06:52 AM
Gayle,

Excellent B&W study though I would like to see more details in the shadows. I brought it into PS and applied a Shadows/Highlights adjustment (Shadows at 25/25/30 and midtone contrast at +10%) and that opened up the shadows greatly w/o changing the overall tone of the image.

I like the inclusion of the tree on the left to balance out the mountain on right. I would liked to have seen the whole tree but not convinced that the whole tree would be better as it works well now.

A well composed image.

Harold Davis
05-19-2008, 07:11 AM
agree with robert, this is a very well composed image! robert, i would like to see what you came up with, if you dont mind. the thing that sticks out to me is that i want to see the lake brighter with a little more detail; something to make it more pronounced.

other than that, it's fantastic. thanks for sharing!

Grady Weed
05-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Robert makes some very good points. More light in the dark areas will give greater details increasing an already good image to great.

Roman Kurywczak
05-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi Gayle,
As Grady and the others have said...........adding a bit to the shadow areas in the FG trees especially (although you probably lost a bit in the compresiions)......will take this one from VG to Outstanding. Very nicely done!

Rich Ikerd
05-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Very dynamic B&W Gayle. Opening up the shadows a bit as already suggested would make it more impressive. Also, cutting the tree in half on the left is a bit distracting (though it does frame the image nicely) - not sure including the entire tree was possible. A very nice image regardless of my comments.

Don Lacy
05-19-2008, 06:13 PM
I really like the composition in this image the way your eye travels up the slope of the mountain and down the other side along with using the tree to help frame it.

Gayle Clement
05-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks to everyone for the comments. After reading them I may go back to the raw file and open up the shadows a bit more. It does look darker when compressed this much. Harold's comment about lightening the lake is a good one for me. The tree...It's either as cropped or not at all. There's only about 2/3 of the tree in any of the compostions, probably because of the limitations of the 24-120. When I return it will be with a good wide angle lens!

I truly appreciate the feedback!