PDA

View Full Version : Red-necked Grebe.

Karl Egressy
06-02-2014, 08:16 PM
The male (I assume) was approaching the nest.
On the nest the other parent with four chicks was sitting.
In is in the middle of Toronto. (Humber Bay)
Thanks for looking.

Canon 1DM3
Canon 500 f4.0 II.
ISO 320
f 8.0
1/500 s
HH

Ian Wilson
06-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Lovely capture Karl, lots to like here. Great that you were able to catch the bird calling, it really adds interest and with perfect light, it lifts the composition well above the ordinary. TFS. Regards, Ian

David Salem
06-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Great looking calling pose Karl and I really like the raised ear tufts. Nice feather detail too. The image looks a little bright on my monitor. A bit of exposure reduction and a few points of black will look good IMO.
Well done Karl

Joe Galkowski
06-03-2014, 12:09 AM
Nice image. The body position for the call, and your timing, is just perfect. It looks like he is really trying to get good volume on his call.

It would look better on my monitor if the exposure was dropped a touch too but I have not calibrated the thing so this assessment is only based on relative comparisons with other images. Wouldn't mind hearing more about the picture (shot from a boat, wading, canoe,... Any shots of the nest coming?)

arash_hazeghi
06-03-2014, 01:29 AM
I like the pose, light was a bit harsh here which resulted in a contrasty image and on top of that you oversharpened him a bit...but it's a nice pose, TFS

Karl Egressy
06-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Great looking calling pose Karl and I really like the raised ear tufts. Nice feather detail too. The image looks a little bright on my monitor. A bit of exposure reduction and a few points of black will look good IMO.
Well done Karl
Thanks David. Here is a darker version. I darkened the bird only.

Binu John
06-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Beautiful shot, Karl! I like the pose and open beak! TFS

Daniel Cadieux
06-03-2014, 11:46 AM
I love the calling pose and sharpness. Brightness-wise the head and neck look OK but the body could use some burning IMO (perhaps 8-10% to the midtones). Nice spot to get close to these guys you got there...

Sidharth Kodikal
06-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Excellent calling pose and nice sharpness Karl. Not sure, but it seems like the light could have been on the harsher side here. I'd try reducing highlights (photoshop shadow & highlights dialog) to see if it'd tone down the brightness effectively.
TFS and looking forward to more.

Pamela de Zilva
06-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Excellent image Karl. What a pose. Daniel and Siharth's suggestions should take this image to a higher level.

Robert Hardy
06-04-2014, 02:13 PM
this is a lovely shot great pose.

Rob.

Satish Ranadive
06-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Spectacular image with very nice IQ, superb pose, beautiful colors, great details and composition.

Regards,
Satish.