PDA

View Full Version : Black-crowned Night Heron portrait

Diane Miller
06-01-2014, 05:00 PM
A couple of days ago I posted a BCNH with a less than ideal head angle because I liked how the beak ended in the green area in the BG. Here's a better angle but i don't care for the BG as much. But then, I guess it's the bird that counts...

Canon 5D3, 600 II + 2X. ISO 1600, 1/1000 @ f/10. Wimberley II. Basic tonal corrections (minimal here) in LR -- he was in soft light. I did push Sharpening to 70 and Luminance NR to 40 -- not something I usually do. To PS CS6 for a curves masked to the face for some slight lightening and contrast adjustment. Then a small dose of NR (Nik Dfine), no masking needed. No sharpening except the LR default and the High setting on export from LR.

Here's the previous one:
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/120590-BCNH-Juvenile-Portrait

John Robinson
06-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Hi Diane
Sorry but much prefer your first one. As you say - the green bit around the beak - etc,etc.
Cheers
John

Anil Skumar
06-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Like this one better Diane.... I find this one brings out the character of the bird better with a nice eye contact.

Karl Egressy
06-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Very nice portrait image, Diane. Love the details, the little fuzz on the head and the eye.