PDA

View Full Version : Male Burrowing Owl Coo-Cooo Call

Loi Nguyen
05-31-2014, 12:51 AM
This was the first time I observed a male Burrowing Owl making the "coo-cooing" call. This guy had a mate in January, but I didn't see his mate this time. Just before sunrise, he hopped on his favorite perch and bellowing out the "coo-cooo" calls. He lowered his body and exerted great effort to make the sound travel as far as possible, while turning after every call to announce his presence to the world. Image taken moments before sunrise.

1Dx
500f4 II
1/125
f4
ISO-3200
BLUBB bean bag over car window, quick camo covering window.

Thank you for your comments.

Loi

Diane Miller
05-31-2014, 08:17 AM
Wonderful results for low light! The pose is wonderful, with the body counterbalanced by the perch. The face is so sharp and so is the piercing look, and the rest falls OOF gracefully. Well done!

The color balance is probably accurate for that time of day, but I wonder how it would compare with it just a little warmer and more contrast? The image can support a little drama, very well!

Richard Flack
05-31-2014, 08:35 AM
Stunning image Loi. Really like the pose and the bg. Out of interest why did you choose an fstop of 4 as opposed to a bit higher?

Loi Nguyen
05-31-2014, 08:39 AM
Stunning image Loi. Really like the pose and the bg. Out of interest why did you choose an fstop of 4 as opposed to a bit higher?

Hi Richard, as you can see from the techs, I got no light and didn't want to push the ISO more than 3200. Loi

Daniel Cadieux
05-31-2014, 09:07 AM
This image has a real good 3D feel to it with the forward-facing head so sharp. Love that stare. Good job with the low light. Do wish the perch was cleaner, but it being this fella's favorite the staining is to be expected.

keith mitchell
05-31-2014, 02:42 PM
Loi I think it's an outstanding low light shot at iso 3200,love the crouched pose,would be very pleased with this.

Regards Keith.

Allen Sparks
05-31-2014, 03:22 PM
Hi Loi, very nice in your face pose. Nice details on the face and I think you did well in the low light.

Allen

John Robinson
05-31-2014, 04:40 PM
Excellent ! Nice springy pose. I reckon it would even take a head crop !
Cheers
JohnR

Ivan Ellison
05-31-2014, 04:42 PM
Super image, love the way he looks like he is going to jump down the lens. nice light blue sky , excellent exposure, really nice image

Steve Kaluski
05-31-2014, 10:19 PM
Greetings Loi, cracking image, love the posture and the eye contact with the viewer. Techs look good and understand where you are coming from re ISO. Keep as is, don't pixel bash. :w3

Talk when I get back.

TFS
Steve

Loi Nguyen
05-31-2014, 11:16 PM
Greetings Loi, cracking image, love the posture and the eye contact with the viewer. Techs look good and understand where you are coming from re ISO. Keep as is, don't pixel bash. :w3

Talk when I get back.

TFS
Steve

Hi Steve, thank you for your comment. Did you notice the layers in the eye that you first called to my attention? I trust that you are having a grand time. Thanks for taking your time off to comment on my image. Loi

Gabriela Plesea
06-01-2014, 04:18 AM
Please don't pixel bash, Loi:t3:bg3::tinysmile_shy_t:!

Just kidding, I am green with envy and would give anything for a shot like this! Brilliant image, super pose and eye contact, great PP work, no crits just compliments!
I love owls - post as many as you can, I would like to see them all:w3

Have a wonderful day!

John Robinson
06-01-2014, 08:34 AM
What does "pixel bashing " mean ? Seen it quoted a few times. Forgive me for appearing stupid.:e3
Cheers
JohnR

Dan Brown
06-01-2014, 09:30 AM
Nice image in low light. I have two questions, how do you know this is a male? And, I too would like to know about this "pixel bashing"?

Binu John
06-01-2014, 03:22 PM
Great shot in low light, Loi! Excellent pose and eye contact! Well done!

Loi Nguyen
06-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Nice image in low light. I have two questions, how do you know this is a male? And, I too would like to know about this "pixel bashing"?

Dan, only the males of this species make the "co-cooo" sounds near the burrow to attract the females, at least that is what I learned from various sources including the Cornell Labs. This was my first hand experiencing it. Various sources also say the males are smaller as typical of raptors, but I'm not sure. I saw a pair in which the bigger owl jumped on top in an attempt of mating. Loi

Loi Nguyen
06-01-2014, 03:37 PM

Talk when I get back.

TFS
Steve

Steve, what do you mean by "don't pixel bash." Do you mean don't fiddle too much with an image that does not need fixing? Thanks. Loi

Loi Nguyen
06-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Thank you very much for your comments and feedback. It was really great to be this close to an owl in good light and not disturbing him. Loi

John Robinson
06-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Hi Loi
I assumed it was something to do with noise reduction or something. Maybe not.
Cheers
John

Dan Brown
06-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Dan, only the males of this species make the "co-cooo" sounds near the burrow to attract the females, at least that is what I learned from various sources including the Cornell Labs. This was my first hand experiencing it. Various sources also say the males are smaller as typical of raptors, but I'm not sure. I saw a pair in which the bigger owl jumped on top in an attempt of mating. LoiGood info to know, thanks!

John Robinson
06-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Still not clear on the meaning of "pixel bashing " Surely must be easily explained.
Confused
John R

Loi Nguyen
06-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Excellent ! Nice springy pose. I reckon it would even take a head crop !
Cheers
JohnR

John, the "pixel bashing" comment was in response to your comment that this image would take a head shot. That would be too much cropping and "bashing" the pixel. When I first joined BPN a little over 1 year ago, many of my images were severely cropped, often 25% of FF. Now I rarely crop to less than 50 % of the original FF. Loi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kaido Rummel
06-03-2014, 03:42 AM
Excellent shot - very nice pose and it does look like a 3D image as Daniel mentioned.

John Robinson
06-03-2014, 06:54 AM
Thanks Loi
I have to admit to being a "bsher" then because with my equipment if I can,t get near enough I have to revert on cropping. I suppose as long as the image quality is reasonabale it doesn't matter too much.
Thanks for explaining
John

Bradley James
06-03-2014, 11:53 AM
I just love the shallow depth of field and the intense look in the eyes. Nicely done

David Salem
06-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Nice shot Loi. I like the pose and the detail in the early morning light. Nice perch too. I have been studying raptors all my life, and as you noticed, Im pretty sure that Burrowing owls dont have the same sexual dimorphism as most raptors do. My male is definitely bigger than his mate. See ya soon.