PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for photography website/portfolio...

annmpacheco
05-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Doug West
05-30-2014, 03:39 PM
What are your goals for the site? For example are you just looking for something to show case your work?
If so, something free like Flickr might be something to consider. If you're hoping to sell prints, the two big
kids on the block are probably Smugmug and Zenfolio.

Another option is to do it yourself. You would get an account with somebody like GoDaddy and buy one of
the all ready made web sites that some companies sell. All you have to do is modify the text, graphics, etc.
I went that route once and it was kind of a pain.

Or hire somebody. Of course that would be your most expensive option, but at least it would be designed
to your specs.

There's tons more ideas, but those are the ones I could think of right off my head.

Me, I use Zenfolio.

Doug

Diane Miller
05-30-2014, 05:26 PM
I designed my site on Dreamweaver years ago but it's a very old design now and some trouble to maintain. I have an auxiliary site on Smugmug that is super-easy to add to (or subtract from) directly from Lightroom with a plug-in. Zenfolio is also very popular and probably also has a LR plug-in. Both can have professional-looking interfaces with a number of features. I think these two look more professional than Flickr and its ilk. You can also make web pages from LR and Photoshop.

mikeojohnson
05-31-2014, 06:22 AM
I use Zenfolio. A lot of flexibility to customize to your taste. www.mojphoto.com

Mike

Sandy Witvoet
05-31-2014, 10:26 AM
A friend recommended SmugMug to me.... I'm just now giving it the free 14-day trial and do like it. It has, I believe, four different "payment/function levels" (i.e., Consumer - Pro). Prices are quite reasonable.

Kerry Perkins
06-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Zenfolio is the king. Smugmug will leave its own branding on your pages, whereas Zenfolio allows you to remove it completely so your page looks like your page, not theirs. Also, they allow you to use your own web domain hosting and redirect to their site, so my photography site on Zenfolio is "kerryperkinsphotophy*dot*com" and not kerryperkins.zenfolio.com. Also, the e-commerce engine on Zenfolio is absolutely top-notch. You can set up your own price lists and assign them to different images and lots of other cool things. I have also heard bad things (from customers) about the print quality from Smugmug.

Diane Miller
06-22-2014, 04:50 PM
Good things to know about Zenfolio vs. Smugmug. Someday when I have nothing better to do I need to set up a newer, more modern web site. I've only used Snugmug for very casual stuff.