PDA

View Full Version : Upper Loxahatchee River

Don Lacy
05-30-2014, 12:14 PM
I rarely post images that I am not sure of but I cannot make up my mind on this one, specifically is the foreground Cyprus strong enough to provide an anchor to the otherwise cluttered composition and are the tonalities right in the BW conversion. The Loxahatchee River is a hidden little gem of old Florida that Clyde Buthcer did a wonderful series of images of a few years back and I am just hoping to come close to capturing the essence of the river as he did.
Thanks, Don

1DMKIII, 17-40 f/4, f/16 at 3.2s, Manual, evaluative metered, iso 100, tripod, two image blend for shadows and highlights

Kaushik Balakumar
05-31-2014, 03:44 PM
Don, there's something nice about this image - perhaps the combination of chaos on the upper half and the calmness of the water in the lower half. The oblique tree connects the two halves well.
'Like' !

:S3:

Don Railton
06-01-2014, 06:59 AM
Hi Don

This is a busy little image...! I like the composition and the placement of the fallen tree. I think it does offer a subtle lead into the image, which is a wonderful insight to what must be a very interesting bit of river to explore. Because the image is chaotic in the top half especially, I think something to consider is to reduce the contrast somewhat, which I think will back out the chaos a little without loosing the detail and interest. I copied the image into PS (hope you dont mind) and applied the 'off the shelf' NIK soft Sepia overlay without any adjustments. If you liked this idea I am sure you can refine it more. Just my thought anyway...

regards

Don

Andrew McLachlan
06-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Hi Don, love the B&W tonalities and yes I think you captured this scene well (I am familiar with some of Clyde Butcher's work). I am sitting on the fence in regards to the tree. I love where it exits the water but wish there was more definition to the top portion of the tree.

Dvir Barkay
06-03-2014, 10:50 PM
Very pretty shot, like the way the tree on the left leads into the shot. The swirling water is great too. Dons rendition is a bit more moody, both are nice.

Arthur Morris
06-20-2014, 08:04 PM
I like the tones of the original post. And I like the subject tree. If you chose a different perspective and angled the tree from corner to corner rather than from corner to center top I think that it might have been a lot stronger....