PDA

View Full Version : Storm Cloudss

Mitch Carucci
05-29-2014, 04:30 PM
remask, clarity, flood & simplify...

Dennis Bishop
05-30-2014, 09:23 AM
As it is, this image has a lot of energy and drama. Adding a couple masked Curves layers could probably make the impact even greater.

When my eye follows the horizon from the left, it runs into something dark. It could be a cloud. However, because you used Flood, I'm guessing the clouds were shot over dry land, and what I see on the right is something like a wooded skyline. In any case, it blends into the water. I'd suggest darkening it so it's silhouetted against the sky and suggests the harbor to which the boat is dashing to escape the impending storm. I'd also lighten the sky some and add some contrast to it. That would reveal a lot that is, now, hidden in shadow and increase the drama of the clouds. If you brought the boat in from a different image, it might be good to at least partially mask out the blue in the windows to allow the clouds to show through.

Nancy Bell
05-31-2014, 01:30 PM
Dennis has a lot of thoughtful suggestions. I like the threatening palette of blues and grays and those wonderful touches of red! If you are going to rework this, you might brighten the water spray from the boat, adding to the visual power of the run back to safety.

Anita Bower
06-01-2014, 06:57 AM
You achieved the feel of a boat racing through the water.

Kerry Perkins
06-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Hi Mitch, lots of drama to the image and I think Dennis has some good thoughts. I like what Simplify has done with the water. I would be inclined to use the sponge tool and desaturate some of the seemingly random colors in the water (reds, greens, etc.). Nice action catpured!

Mitch Carucci
06-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Dennis,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will rework this when I have a chance. I see what you mean with the look of a shore in the distance, but the original cloud image was taken over water. The texture of the water would not blend with the cutout of the C.G. Cutter (a 20+ year old slide). I used flood to create a new water texture. I will clear the windows. I should have done that.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mitch