PDA

View Full Version : Zimanga Oxpecker

Andre Pretorius
05-29-2014, 01:05 PM
We had the privilege to "test drive" the new underground hides at Zimanga Private Game Reserve. There is a morning and afternoon hide, each which can accommodate a maximum of four photographers, a bit tight, the ideal is three. They have 5 star trimmings with solar powered aircon included. The hides were designed by Bence Mate, and is a work of art. There is a prototype vulture hide, we didn't have the time to experience it. At first I thought shooting through a glass is a no-no, but the advantage of being invisible to little birds and bigger animals at 5 meters is a BIG advantage! You lose some light through the one-way glass (apparently 1 f-stop) but the D3S could handle the high ISO to obtain some SS with F6,3. The image is almost FF, with some minor cropping for comp. The older 600 I was using had a bigger minimum focal distance than the newer; I would recommend a 500 for the birds, I took a 300F2.8 with, should have taken my 70-200 f2,8 as well. I came back with more than 1500 images for 5 hours in both hides, more images than shooting for a few days in the Kalahari:2eyes2:

This one of the first that I want to post.

The -0,3EV was a setting to prevent blowing the whites on the chest of the canaries who were there moments earlier.
The image does not need a rotation, I have measured with a tape, on Gabriela's insistence:c3:

There is a link to Zimanga's website for bookings on our website www.gappimages.com (http://www.gappimages.com)

Techs: D3S with 600f4
ISO 2000
1/1000 @ f6,3
-0,3EV

Ian Wilson
05-29-2014, 07:00 PM
This is some set-up! Your description sounds amazing. I look forward to seeing some more stunning pictures. For this image, my preference would be to lower the crop to show less of the top and more of the reflection if you have it and a little off the LHS - it's just a matter of personal taste. Technically spot on and overall a fine image. Cheers, Ian

christopher galeski
05-30-2014, 03:28 AM
nice image,like the pose and light,good POV and BG.

Ron E Racine
05-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Fantastic shot Andre. The setup you used sounds great. I really love the light and colors here. I also agree if you had some more reflection of the bird available it would add interest.

Ron

Andreas Liedmann
05-30-2014, 11:17 AM
Hi Andre lovely shot of this little bird .
Great colors and priceless low POV , good location :w3 ? Nicely processed , if you have i would agree about including the whole reflection , and losing some of the dead space on LHS.

TFS Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
05-30-2014, 11:51 AM
Hi Andre little magic trick has taken place …….. WDYT ? One click of a button and a mask created …….. that is all.
It is a modified action from Mr LAB color Dan Margulis , i.e. PPW panel :w3.

Andreas

Andre Pretorius
05-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Thank you for comments Ian, Christopher, Ron and Andreas!

I do not have much more image at the bottom, chose to shoot in landscape and not portrait, the older 600 weighs a ton, not easy to rotate the lens while trying to shoot.
Not wanting 2/3 of a reflection, opted for 1/3.
When I was cropping, was trying to apply rule of thirds?:bugeyed:

Will do RP with suggestions:S3:

Andre

Andre Pretorius
05-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Hi Andreas

While I was busy replying, you posted..?

It seems your little bird is a bit more crisp than my little bird, didn't think it was possible?:t3

I have put Dan on hold till October, need a mentor….

Cheers

Andreas Liedmann
05-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Andre it is not just only crisper ,there is a bunch of other little stuff going on now . Take them both into PS and watch them side by side , all subtle but lots of it , at least for me .

Cheers Andreas

keith mitchell
05-31-2014, 02:59 PM
Hi Andre.hides sound really interesting and if this is the end result then that is great,would like to see more reflection but I certainly like what you have got.

Cheers Keith.