PDA

View Full Version : Flycatcher ID help please

Bill Dix
05-29-2014, 09:28 AM
This fellow was captured at Anahuac NWR, Texas, the third week of April. Based on the long primary extension, and the pale lores, I've tentatively assumed Acadian Flycatcher. But I haven't ruled out an Eastern Wood-Pewee. eBird suggests that either bird could have been there at that time, though neither in great abundance. Other Empidonax seem unlikely. Unfortunately, I don't remember hearing him sing, or noticing any tail-wagging. This was taken on a foggy morning, and I've had to do some Levels adjustments to bring him out, so I can't be sure that the colors are 100% accurate. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Guris
05-29-2014, 07:36 PM
That bird looks awfully long to me and the eyering looks weak. I'd go with Pewee.

Dan Brown
05-29-2014, 09:11 PM
I agree, Eastern Wood-Pewee. The tail is really long and just the overall jizz feels like pewee. Western Wood-Pewee has a shorter tail projecting from the primary tips and would not be as likely at Anahuac! My two cents.

Bill Dix
05-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Thanks Paul and Dan. I also spoke to several people locally who offered the same opinion. I'll change the file name. Thanks for your help.