PDA

View Full Version : rain lily

Ron Conlon
05-28-2014, 09:45 AM
tripod, box and background with remote flash, D5100 200mm 1/200s f/18

A rain lily from the backyard. I often miss this plant when it flowers because the plant volunteered underneath a rose, the rose foliage often covers it by this time, and rain lilies bloom after a rain. The scape and blooms have an upright habit, so this in this case the scape is angled toward the viewer, the blurring and blending of the lower stem is due to the greater distance, not my photoshop skills. A little burning of the highlights of the two lower flowers, and adjustments to the canvas amount. I wish the top flower were a little more open and a little sharper.

Jonathan Ashton
05-29-2014, 08:11 AM
I think this is a very good shot, the DOF looks good and the detail in the flowers is excelent. The hint of yellow in the green background prevents monotony and the two unopened buds in the centre are really interesting too. It also goes to show that rules can be broken, you have 4 primary areas (3 opened flowers and the two adjacent unopened)of interest and usually odd numbers especially 3 work best.

Ron Conlon
05-29-2014, 11:17 AM
I wasn't aware of the principle/guidelines/rules. Are there guides/books on composition that you would recommend? I think I understand why three points of interest are better than two. In this photo, I had thought of it as three, not four, (or three and a weak fourth from the unopened buds) so perhaps not an exception. Thanks for you comments and insights.

Diane Miller
05-29-2014, 08:26 PM
It's 3.25 -- that will do! The buds being in the middle somehow removes them from competition with the flowers and just makes them a center balance point. Very nice detail in the whites! I love how the stem fades away at the bottom, so it doesn't pull my eye out of the frame.

John Robinson
05-30-2014, 06:39 AM
Its the dilicacy of the whites and the exposure I like on this one. I love whites on green.
JohnR

Steve Maxson
06-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Hi Ron. Nothing to criticize here! Love the soft light you are getting in your lightbox. Also excellent detail in the whites and yellows.