PDA

View Full Version : Rockhopper Penguin sub-species filholi

Ian Wilson
05-27-2014, 06:55 PM
This is the sub-species found at Macquarie Is and some other sub-Antarctic islands. It is the smallest of the crested penguin group, standing about 0.45 m tall. The birds usually breed on steep rocky shores and cliffs. We visited two colonies on Macquarie Is but our Zodiac was unable to make a close approach because of the dangerous confused swell reflected off the rocks. Consequently, this is a large crop (width 1976 pixels) and the back-light through high clouds was not ideal. The WB was set on the bird's chest. The shot was taken at the cliffs on the north side of Buckles Bay on 6 January 2014.
Canon 5DIII + 300 mm f/2.8L II + 2x III extender, hand-held.
Av priority with spot metering off the bird's chest, f/7.1, 1/2500 sec, ISO 800.
Processed in DPP: crop, adjust WB, shad/h'lights, saturation, USM, RAW-TIFF. PS Elements: pulled up the blacks on the bird's throat, cleaned up a few dirty spots on white front with healing brush, downsize TIFF-JPEG, output sharpen with USM.
Thanks for looking, critical feedback welcome.

gail bisson
05-27-2014, 07:23 PM
Hi Ian,
The bird look great and the IQ has not suffered from the crop. Exposure looks good.
I would run some NR on the rocks in the BG or blur them a bit.
The diagonal line of the rock that the penguin is on adds to the image as does the thin line of green lichen.
Nice image.
gail
I went to the website of the company you traveled with and am dreaming of the day i can cross this trip off my bucket list!!

Ian Wilson
05-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Hi Ian,
The bird look great and the IQ has not suffered from the crop. Exposure looks good.
I would run some NR on the rocks in the BG or blur them a bit.
The diagonal line of the rock that the penguin is on adds to the image as does the thin line of green lichen.
Nice image.
gail
I went to the website of the company you traveled with and am dreaming of the day i can cross this trip off my bucket list!!

Thanks Gail, I was in two minds about the BG. It is not noise but the usual oof low-pass filter response of the lens convolved with the highlights on the wet rocks. But you are right, whatever it is, the image would be improved if it was blurred a bit. Regards, Ian

adrian dancy
05-27-2014, 07:50 PM
I love the head plumage on these birds. They are a fine subjects. Noise does not bother me as much others but in this case I'd select the background rocks for some NR. Otherwise a pleasing portrait and one I wished I could take credit for.

Ian Wilson
05-27-2014, 08:18 PM
That was sagacious advice Adrian and Gail. In this repost I have blurred the background rocks using a median filter (radius 2 pixels) just enough to get rid of the offending speckle. This also helped reduce the file size so that less compression was needed for the final output and I think the bird is standing out better - a win win as they say. Thanks for your help. Regards, Ian

Karl Egressy
05-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Sharp looking bird, excellent image Ian. The repost is an improvement for sure.

adrian dancy
05-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Much better and not over cooked. I wished I looked as good as your bird!

christopher galeski
05-28-2014, 02:12 AM
nice shot Ian,repost is the one,good details,can see why they call it a Rockhopper.

Binu John
05-28-2014, 02:25 AM
Very nice shot, Ian! Excellent exposure and details! The RP is perfect!

gail bisson
05-28-2014, 05:36 AM
Repost looks excellent!

Satish Ranadive
05-28-2014, 10:29 AM
Excellent image of beautiful Penguin with beautiful hair do and ruby eye.
Nicely exposed whites, superb details, lovely pose and composition. Re post looks great.

Regards,
Satish.

Stu Bowie
05-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Hi Ian, love the angled pose, and the penquin stands out nicely against the darker BG. Well exposed on the whites, and love the hairdo. Your repost has turned out well.

Ian Wilson
06-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement - I really appreciate your feedback. Regards, Ian