PDA

View Full Version : Wildebeests at Dawn

Cindy Cone
05-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Another scene of wildebeests in the dust. This one was at Amboseli, Kenya, last year, with early morning sun. Canon 20D, 1/640, f/8.0, Canon 100-400 IS at 130.

Douglas Bolt
05-18-2008, 06:10 PM
I like it! It makes me wish I were there, so the pic has a message.

My initial thoughts were to crop it a bit more on the right, just at the head of the two wildebeests, to give more tension and then to lighten and enhance the swirl of dust on the left side of the image to give a bit more depth. Cropping the light sky would give a totally different feel, but I think I like it better this way. More real.

Grace Scalzo
05-18-2008, 07:15 PM
So much interest here, Cindy. I feel as if it could stand on its own without the wildebeasts...the firey earth, the tree, and the clouds. The animals just put it over the top. an image to be proud of.

Roman Kurywczak
05-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi Cindy,
with all those animals you managed very nice separation. if you had a little more room right wouldn't hurt......but you didn't clip any animal on the edge so............the tree and the lighting put this one over the top for me. Very nicely done!

David Steele
05-19-2008, 04:09 AM
This is very special Cindy, with amazing colours. Well done! I agree with Roman's comment about a little more canvas on the right as you do need some 'breathing' space there. It would also be very interesting to see the image with the light sky cropped and also a bit shaved off the base. . . .

Julie Kenward
05-19-2008, 10:35 AM
It makes me want to be there, too. You really caught a beautiful moment and did a great job of making it come to life.

Robert Amoruso
05-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Cindy,

This is a great image. I am OK with the left and right hand sides of the image and would not remove any off the top. The transitions of colors and tones from the bottom to top are perfect. I would take more off the bottom though - probably about 1/2 way up to the Wildebesst's feet.

The tree puts it right over the top. Well done capturing such atmosphere and mood in this image.

Van Hilliard
05-19-2008, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't change anything. I love the mood, the composition, the overall feel of the photo. Beautiful combo of dark and light.

Cindy Cone
05-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all of the comments, and I appreciate all of your opinions. I have played with various crops at various times, but I wanted to post the "whole thing" to see what others thought. I waited to take the image so that no wildebeests would be cut off; there was a continual line of traffic so no opportunity for more room at the front! I do think it works best with some off the bottom. Thanks again!

Alfred Forns
05-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Just the little more space on the sides Cindy !!! This is a TSO Image !!! Total Sensory Overload !!!! Love it Big Time !!!

Steve Canuel
05-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Lots to look at and appreciate in this one Cindy. Nice feel. I'd take the dark edge off the bottom but I really like the layers from top to bottom.
Steve

Kaushik Balakumar
05-21-2008, 01:34 AM
lovely mood well captured.
was also wondering as to how a pano crop would look - chop off a bit from bottom & until little bove the tree on the top of the frame... (just a thought)

Steve Maxson
05-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Beautiful. I like it as presented, but an alternate crop (as some others have suggested) -cut about half of the ground from the bottom and all the sky and light clouds from the top - would give this image an entirely different mood. Both would be outstanding.

Gus Cobos
05-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Congrats Cindy,
I like it the way it is...fantastic colors :cool: