PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Chickadee

David Bose
05-27-2014, 12:57 PM
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3830/14097917909_8b80ecb62f_b.jpg

Canon T2i + Canon 400mm 5.6L 1/320 f/5.6 ISO 640

I captured this image last week on an overcast day. I would have liked a bit more depth of field, maybe f8, but really didn't want to push the ISO much higher. This was a surprise visit, a pair of Carolina Chickadee's that I have never seen before. They sure didn't sit in one spot very long :S3:.

I was originally going to post a lesser cropped version that had more branches with some small white blooms but decided maybe it was too distracting and the subject was too small.

Thanks,
David

Raybel Robles
05-27-2014, 04:01 PM
Hi David,

The composition of the image is good with a nice head angle from the bird. The clean green background is a plus too. My only problem it seems to be that the bird is a bit overexposed along with the branch. You may try using the selection tool in PS and selectively adjust the exposure a bit more; maybe recovering from the highlights may help. I would also run a bit of noise reduction to the background.

Randy Stout
06-01-2014, 10:43 AM
David:

I think the subject size in the frame you chose is very good, background is flattering.
The exposure is pretty close to my eyes, with just a few whites on the cheek in the high 240 rangs.
The bird does seem to be a bit oversharpened, with the feathers starting to look just a bit overdone.

Good job catching the unexpected visitors.

Cheers

Randy

David Bose
06-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Thanks Randy! I think the only sharpening that was done was in LR, sharpening is defaulted to 25, then when exporting I used "standard" for screen. I agree, I too thought there was too much sharpening but looking at it in LR before export it seems that way too.

Would I be better off setting my LR sharpening default to 0?

Randy Stout
06-02-2014, 08:25 AM
David:

I also use the LR sharpening preset at 25, and don't normally see this effect. How do you have the other sharpening sliders set?

I was going to guess it was your final sharpening when exporting, but it sounds like that wasn't the case. Have you noticed other images coming out oversharpened?

Cheers

Randy

David Bose
06-02-2014, 09:37 AM
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2895/14143083107_0309bfb768_b.jpg

Randy,

I think I found the issue. I forgot I had sharpened the face (+35) using the LR adjustment brush, then my overall sharpening was at +25, and then 'Normal sharpened for screen' at export.

The above image is before I had removed a branch in PS. This time I removed the adjustment brush sharpening but left the default sharpening at +25 and used Normal sharpening for screen at export.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5495/14143134137_741748ba90_b.jpg

Then this image there is zero sharpening.

Randy Stout
06-02-2014, 10:51 AM
David:

I think the combination of the extra sharpening you discovered and the branch removal giving a slight irregularity to the feathers on the wing explains my observations on the original.

Good to get it figured out.

Cheers

Randy