PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Kingbird

Philippe Collard
05-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Hi there,

I haven't visited BPN for quite long. My stupid job keeps me busy but that seems to calm down so I'll participate more consistently from now on :)

It looks like you guys are doing well! As far as I am concerned I got out early this morning at our local botanical garden. I was lucky to find this guy picking up nesting material, that got me a few keepers I think. When on this perch he was lower than eye level, so the yellow patches are flowers in the grass.

This was also my first session with my newly acquired used 500/4.5L Artie told me everyone should own a 500mm and heck Maxis has that lens too so I thought that should be worth it :D I am quite pleased, and I don't find the lack of IS limitating so far.

Comments are highly appreciated of course.

Cheers and all the best,

Philippe.

http://www.pbase.com/ocean7/image/97264079.jpg

Canon EOS 20D
1/400Sec.
F5.6
Evaluative metering -2/3
ISO 400
Cropped from horizontal
No PP except light noise reduction and sharpening

Axel Hildebrandt
05-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Very nice setting, light and details. I only wish for a bit more head turn and the BG looks a bit noisy.

John Chardine
05-18-2008, 06:46 PM
I really like this image Phillipe. The light is beautifully soft and the image is very sharp. One option for a crop would be to take the top off down to just above the first set of leaves. I tried it for fun and it seems to work.

Robert O'Toole
05-18-2008, 07:15 PM
I like this image alot. The soft light is really fantastic! The perch is really interesting. Agree with Axel on the head angle. I am with Johh also with the crop idea.

Robert

Roman Kurywczak
05-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi Phillipe,
I'm with the crop crowd. I feel It would add to the overall impact of the wonderful bird. Nicely done!

Philippe Collard
05-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated!

Here is another crop, does it look better? I must admit that I never know if I should keep the original ratio when cropping or if another one would be a better fit. Also this is now quite a heavy crop, that leaves me with a mere 1800px for printing. I won't make a 13x19 with this one :)

http://www.pbase.com/ocean7/image/97286722.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
05-18-2008, 09:09 PM
I do like the cropped version better..........but it will be interesting to see what others feel!

Dave Phillips
05-18-2008, 09:34 PM
IMO too much off top....that long skinny rolled up leaf should stay, crop just above the tip. I think it balances better.

The green is super hue contrast with the bird

Dan Brown
05-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi Philippe.Great shot! Here's my crop version. I rotated the image to bring the bird upright and also to have the branch enter the frame to the left of the bottom right corner and exit the frame below the upper left corner of the frame. Still a lot of space in the upper right (I can see a cover title in that space!)

Dan Brown,
Sacramento

Blake Shadle
05-19-2008, 01:07 PM
All flavors and variations are nice. I like the original image as well. Really enjoy the soft lighting and the background. Phillipe, I enjoy your repost the most.

EDIT: And huge congrats on the new lens!!! Enjoy it, and keep putting it to good use! ;)

Steve Canuel
05-20-2008, 12:35 AM
3 good versions. Lovely color and detail.
Steve