PDA

View Full Version : ID requested

Diane Miller
05-25-2014, 04:12 PM
I was shooting Western Bluebirds at one of their favorite perches when this beauty came along. It was promptly chased away. I've never seen one of these (probably wouldn't if it isn't something that would come to the seed feeders) and am curious what it might be. An immature specimen?

Shot today, 60 mi NW of San Francisco. Oak grassland.

Thanks for any info!

Diane Miller
05-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Hermit Thrush? A new one for me! Never thought I'd get this much into birds -- I'm in kindergarten but loving it. Have spent the last few early mornings in the most beautiful cool weather (days can get hot but nights get quite cool here in the dry season) in the shade of a big oak, hidden in an overgrown bush, watching the bluebirds and getting an occasional decent picture. Maybe I can find this one's territory??

Dan Brown
05-26-2014, 08:42 PM
I believe this is a Swainson's Thrush. Do you have a shot showing the upper tail? Hermit would have a rufous tail, Swainson's a brownish like this bird. Not sure what the undertail colors are though.

Diane Miller
05-26-2014, 08:51 PM
Hi Dan,

Unfortunately, no. It materialized there right in front of my eyes, I got this one shot and the bluebird immediately charged in from its rear and chased it away. I focused attention on the bluebird and didn't get a good look as it flew away.

Unfortunately there is a very OOF green sprig contributing the low contrast greenish pall in the tail area -- now pruned away.

Dan Brown
05-26-2014, 09:09 PM
After looking into it a bit more, I think you are right, Hermit. The eye ring on this guy is not buffy at all.