PDA

View Full Version : Water Vole (2)

Andrew Robinson
05-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Thank you for your comments and advice on my previous post, it is very much appreciated. This was taken the same day with the same settings on the 5D MK 111 and 300mm f/2.8 Canon.

I would think the bright contrast between bits in the light and bits in the shade will not be to everybody's taste but in the bright sunlight I am not sure how to avoid it. It is a slightly different shot of a vole though. You have given me lots to thin about how to get better shots with this project.

Andre

Andreas Liedmann
05-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Hi Andrew i quite like the straight look into the cam of that vole.Overall image is a tad too dark i think and the centered placement of the subject is not working that good , for me.

I just tweaked it a bit ,very quickly just to get a rough idea where i think the image has to go, not ideal due to low res, and as always a matter of taste. Just my 2 cents.

TFS Andreas

Nancy Bell
05-26-2014, 04:29 PM
I find dappled light to be the most difficult of situations to get the proper exposure. I would lean towards getting the vole proper. One possibility in post-processing is to mask the bkgd and selectively lighten the vole. You would need to do this carefully so the vole does not just look placed in the image. I do like that you captured the density and softness of the fur. I like those bits of fur that are poking out and highlighted.

Loi Nguyen
05-26-2014, 11:41 PM
Hi Andrew, I think you are dealing with a very difficult lighting situation. Andreas's RP helped a great deal, but i think you need to rethink the light and your position/the vole position. I have learned that if you don't get good light, you create a very difficult job for yourself. Loi

Gabriela Plesea
05-29-2014, 11:13 AM
My goodness, he is soooo cute! You need to "stalk" this little guy until you catch him in better light, Andrew! I too love the fact that he is looking straight at you, and it seems like he's about to take off! Good advice and help from Andreas, not sure what the Vole's fur colour is in real life and I think I am seeing some blue or magenta creeping in here and there. I look forward to more images please, see if you can find him again and try capture him as he walks around, I really love this chubby chap:w3

Kind regards,