PDA

View Full Version : 1D IV & 400 5.6?

Paul Keeble
05-25-2014, 09:09 AM
I have been using a 7D with a 400 5.6 for a while now and am looking at my next upgrade.

I do love flight photography and am considering a second hand 1D IV as an upgrade, because of the much improved AF capabilities (or so I hear)

Is this worth it with my current lens or would I be better off saving my money for a bigger upgrade? (could be years!)

I know I'll lose some reach but obviously not as much as going to full frame. Will the crop difference affect quality a great deal?

I'm just an amateur who enjoys himself, not looking to sell stuff or win comps, just get some great pictures for my own enjoyment.
Cheers for any advice.

Diane Miller
05-25-2014, 02:18 PM
With rumors of a 7D II coming out soon, that might be an option to compare to the 1D IV. One frustration for many of us is that so many new features seem geared to video. Will be interesting to see what the 7D II will be.

adrian dancy
05-25-2014, 05:53 PM
I pretty much agree with Diane's comment. Your current lens is still a very fine lens and the whilst the 7D is a generation behind in terms of technology it is still no slouch.

Marina Scarr
05-25-2014, 06:35 PM
The good thing about the 1D4 with the 400 5.6 is that you can use the 1.4 & 2.0 TC and still get AF and it gives you quite a bit more reach. I just used this combination this morning.

Paul Keeble
05-26-2014, 06:29 AM
The good thing about the 1D4 with the 400 5.6 is that you can use the 1.4 & 2.0 TC and still get AF and it gives you quite a bit more reach. I just used this combination this morning.

I'd be very interested to see the results of that combination.
In my head I was going to wait for a second hand 300 2.8 II before exploring more reach with TC's, I assumed the 400 5.6 would not perform well with a TC.

Arthur Morris
05-26-2014, 08:33 AM
First off, Marina was a bit off: no AF at f/11 with the 400 5.6/1D IV/2X III TC combo....

400m with a 1.3 crop factor camera is no slouch for flight photography. In many situations you would not have to do much or any cropping....

arash_hazeghi
05-26-2014, 05:21 PM
If your subject is flight and you care about quality I would def. get a 1D4 over a 7D. With the right skills, it will significantly increase your keeper ratio regardless of lens used.

As for 400 f/5.6 with a 1.4 TC, it's a pretty slow combo. I wouldn't use it for flight. But the bare 400 with the 1D4 is a good setup.

I wouldn't waste my time reading internet rumors, they have been floating for 6 years now and are usually baseless. Get the best equipment you can afford and spend your time in the field.

Good luck

Paul Keeble
05-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys, looks like I'm getting a S/H 1D IV then :S3:

Like I said I've no intention of TC-ing my current lens, tried that and not impressed with the results, but bare I think it's great.

Arthur Morris
05-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Good luck Paul. With proper technique you should easily be able to create sharp images of static subjects with the 400 f/5.6 and a 1.4 X II or III TC and a Mark IV. That combo is pretty good for flight as I recall.

Here is a good lead on a used 1D IV from BPN member Nancy Bell:

BAA friend Nancy Bell is offering a used Canon EOS-1D Mark IV camera body for sale for $3200. The body is in excellent condition. It enjoyed annual routine cleaning and service at a Canon Factory Service Center; the last one was done on 5/30/13. The sale includes the original box, battery charger, 3 Canon batteries, the instruction manual, all connection cables, a Canon neck strap, and insured Fed-Ex Ground shipping to US addresses only.

Payment by personal or teller’s check; the item will ship item only after the check clears. Please contact Nancy via e-mail (ncbellbird@msn.com) or by phone at 970-484-8791–Colorado, MDT.

David Stephens
05-27-2014, 03:46 PM
With the 1D IV I'd recommend buying the EF 1.4x TC-III to go with your 400/f5.6. Yes, it's too slow for BIF, but way better than what you tried with your 7D (useless). For perched birds, you'll love the extra reach and extra pixels on your subjects.

Paul Keeble
05-27-2014, 03:47 PM
... and insured Fed-Ex Ground shipping to US addresses only.

Thanks but I'm a long way from the US :S3:

Got one to look at over here next week.