PDA

View Full Version : Another Western Bluebird

Diane Miller
05-24-2014, 04:37 PM
This is Mom, bringing takeout to the kids two days ago. And I think they fledged yesterday -- the parents are still hanging around, acting as though they are waiting for cues to bring bugs, but getting none.

Canon 5D3, 600 II + 1.4X III. Big Gitzo, Wimberley II. ISO 3200, f/10, 1/640 sec. Ambient light -- no flash. Early morning in open shade. Cropped from horizontal, to 73% of original image.

Thanks for any comments and critique!

Karl Egressy
05-24-2014, 04:40 PM
This is the best of the series IMO. I find it simply amazing, Diane.
Having said that I would still check for magenta cast if it were mine. I wish it were!!!

John Robinson
05-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Second that ! best one yet. Spot on Diane
JohnR

Marina Scarr
05-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Killer details here, Diane, and I love seeing it with the prey with a super perch and BG. I am seeing a magenta cast as well.

Diane Miller
05-24-2014, 06:04 PM
Thanks, everyone! I missed the magenta cast, but you're all correct -- it's fixed now on the master file. I find correcting for a subject in open shade with a BG getting more sun to be difficult. I get seduced by the softness of the tonalities and quit looking critically too soon. Is this enough correction? Hmmm -- maybe still not enough, looking at the head.

Karl Egressy
05-24-2014, 07:53 PM
I think it looks better, Diane. If you got rid off all the magenta, then it would look too cold IMO.

Binu John
05-24-2014, 11:22 PM
Very nice shot! Beautiful pose, perch and background! That insect in her beak is a plus!

christopher galeski
05-25-2014, 01:39 AM
nice image,with good detail,the food item,a bonus.

keith mitchell
05-25-2014, 02:35 AM
Diane you have got yourself one stunning image ,it really is top class, you should be very pleased with yourself I know I would be.

Cheers Keith.

vishaljadhav
05-25-2014, 04:21 AM
looks wonderful , iQ is superb , catch is a big plus
superb

Stu Bowie
05-25-2014, 06:10 AM
Hi Diane, great close up showing lots of detail, and what a beak full of food. Sweet BG, and your repost has sorted the cast nicely. Well captured.

Richard Flack
05-25-2014, 07:08 AM
Beautiful image Diane! Love the prey item and BG.

Diane Miller
05-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks, everyone! Although I think the babies have fledged, the parents are still hanging around (defending their territory?) so I'm still getting a little quality time with them. They've apparently decided I'm part of the scenery and seem oblivious as long as I stay behind a bush 25 ft or so away.

Joseph Przybyla
05-25-2014, 02:54 PM
I am late to the party Dianne, beautiful bird, lovely image. Your images of this bluebird have made me want to make an extra effort to photograph the Eastern Bluebird. Thank you for sharing.

adrian dancy
05-25-2014, 07:00 PM
Lovely bird and the prey item lends that little extra. A superb image in every department. My choice would be to have the bird just slightly smaller in the frame.

Diane Miller
05-26-2014, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I revisited the file and agree it's famed a bit tightly. Here it is at probably 90% of the full frame. (Just can't keep my hands off the Crop tool...) And I dealt with the magenta differently. It isn't what I would call an overall color cast, which could be dealt with in the Temp/Tint sections of LR/ACR, as I tried to do on the RP above Rather, I was able to remove the tint on some of the feathers by working with the Magenta slider in Selective Color, just as a global adjustment -- no masking needed. I'm curious if this fixes the issue.