PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones Pin Ball

Brian Wong
05-18-2008, 02:39 PM
EOS 20D, 16-35/2.8 @16mm, cable release, pano-head tripod
1/2.5 sec, f/16, ISO 400, bracketed exposure

Indiana Jones Pin Ball

I don't recall if David said he made any panoramas inside the canyon during his trip, but adding to everyone's nice Antelope Canyon images is this 5 frame (horizontal) panorama photographed last year (approx 150 degrees HFOV before cropping off the left side). Curious if the partial right boulder adds mystery or tension??

Thank you for looking, and your tips for improvement is always appreciated.

Robert Amoruso
05-19-2008, 06:29 AM
Great perspective Brian and I like the colors. As for the right boulder, I am OK with or without it - photographer's choice.

Julie Kenward
05-19-2008, 10:39 AM
I rather like the right boulder...it tends to anchor my eye in the image much like a vignette would. Beautiful detail and colors on this and I LOVE the title!

Rich Ikerd
05-19-2008, 05:11 PM
I like this Brian. The perspective really shows how you have to descend into the canyon. The boulder does add a great anchor to the image. Very nicely done pano!

David Kennedy
05-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Brian,
I brought all of my pano gear with me on the two days I went into Lower Antelope, but never once pulled it out of the pouch on my vest. I was having too much fun with the 16-35 II I was borrowing from CPS.

I would be inclined to eliminate the boulder/rock on the right. It's somewhat awkward as it's a point of interest that rivals the passageway on the left, so it competes for attention in a way that I find distracting, especially as it's placed on the very edge. Also, the color looks a little too magenta to my eyes.

Coincidentally, I immediately recognized this part of Lower Antelope: straight down this path are two ladders, and between the first and the second ladder is a great POV looking 180 degrees from the perspective of this photo. However, because of the traffic bottleneck in this particular part of Lower Antelope, I never could get the image I wanted because I kept having to make way for people!!!

Robert Amoruso
05-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Considering David's suggestions, I revisited this image and agree the boulder competes. When I crop it in PS the decision is made easily, lose the boulder.

Brian Wong
05-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Brian,
I brought all of my pano gear with me on the two days I went into Lower Antelope, but never once pulled it out of the pouch on my vest. I was having too much fun with the 16-35 II I was borrowing from CPS.

I would be inclined to eliminate the boulder/rock on the right. It's somewhat awkward as it's a point of interest that rivals the passageway on the left, so it competes for attention in a way that I find distracting, especially as it's placed on the very edge. Also, the color looks a little too magenta to my eyes.

Coincidentally, I immediately recognized this part of Lower Antelope: straight down this path are two ladders, and between the first and the second ladder is a great POV looking 180 degrees from the perspective of this photo. However, because of the traffic bottleneck in this particular part of Lower Antelope, I never could get the image I wanted because I kept having to make way for people!!!

Thank you for the suggestion on removing the boulder, and the color. I too had lots of fun down there!

In the original posted panorama image, I had initially cropped off the left portion next to the passage way. In this repost image, I included back more of the left portion of the image, and cropped off the right side (removing the boulder-pin-ball).

I reduced the saturation some more, plus I also decided to flip the image horizontally. It does looks different. What do you think ... hope it is an improvement?

David Kennedy
05-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Brian,
I like this version much better than the original. The absense of the boulder is a large improvement, and the addition of the sweeping curves is very pleasing. I took the liberty of tweaking it some. The first thing I did was un-flipped the image to see what it looked like originally, and I think I like it better with the passageway on the right side, but to each his own.

Also, I opened up selective color and played around with the Red, Magenta, Black, and Neutral colors. I tried to make the walls less extreme on the magenta side of things, and added black to the Black and Neutral colors to better ground the shadows. My thinking here is that the magenta was over-saturated, and one way to alleviate that condition is to turn those colors a different shade entirely. In effect, I made it (slightly) more orange. There are certainly other ways to attack this problem, but this would be my recommendation. I made the shadows darker because it didn't feel like the darkest colors in the image were dark enough. Having both a black point and a white point can really help improve the contrast of an image, and I think it made this one pop a little more.

Grady Weed
06-04-2008, 02:52 PM
I have got to go there someday. I agree with Roberts suggestions.

Arthur Morris
07-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Interesting comments above. This one does not do a whole lot for me with or without the boulder, though I prefer the brigher versions... The stuff along the top of the frame edge is especially problematic for me...