PDA

View Full Version : Fire in the sky

Tobie Schalkwyk
05-24-2014, 01:16 AM
Was not planning on posting this, but changed my mind following Don Railton's reply on one of my previous Shark Rock posts (not too fond of the pier obstructing the sunrise). This pic was taken 4 minutes after the pier clips and was the last in the range as the clouds closed in and the rain started falling with meaning hereafter.

Nikon D600
AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR @ 24mm
f/11 | 1/60s | 800 ISO | Handheld
Highlights trimmed, shadows raised in LR. Midtones adjusted using LM's in PS.

Don Railton
05-24-2014, 04:53 AM
Hi Tobie,

Fire indeed..! A very impressive sky... I does not have the palette of the previous post but all of the intensity. I lieu of the rocks in the FG I would crop the sand a little higher so the waters edge becomes a lead right into the sun and also crop off the RHS a little. You also have a small what i think is lens flare upper LHS that I would remove. I took the oppertunity to tweek the image with my changes, I hope thats OK with you... Be aware I don't consider for one second myself as good landscape photographer, only a vocal one. I wish other viewers would also become vocal, so we both might become better...

Best regards, and thanks for the post

DON

Tobie Schalkwyk
05-24-2014, 07:41 AM
I lieu of the rocks in the FG I would crop the sand a little higher so the waters edge becomes a lead right into the sun and also crop off the RHS a little. You also have a small what i think is lens flare upper LHS that I would remove. I took the oppertunity to tweek the image with my changes, I hope thats OK with you...

I tried keeping the horison on the lower 3rds line Don, but your crop still works for me as that space is now filled by the top of the darker clouds. The 'lens flare' you're referring to is a spot of white cloud higher up and behind the red cloud layer. Had I gone for this crop I would have removed the piece of patio & wooden 'legs' on the RHS too, but I like it - thanks for your comment & effort! :5

Morkel Erasmus
05-31-2014, 04:32 PM
epic sky here!
I like Don's reposted crop more, and also feel you could add some midtone contrast to the scene overall as it looks a bit flat, Tobie?

Andrew McLachlan
06-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Ditto on Don's repost and agree that it does appear a slight bit flat. Killer sky...I love the color!

Tobie Schalkwyk
06-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks for your comments guys! As requested:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=141747&d=1401991927