PDA

View Full Version : Few Remain Who Once Gave That Day For Freedom

Mark Fuge
05-23-2014, 04:48 PM
This is an image that I previously posted, but have redone toreflect the holiday to remember those who gave some or all for our freedomsthat we all have. I hope while you enjoy your bar-b-ques and other outings, you will remember that they are not here to enjoy theirs. Some are in fields around the worldwhere they lay buried, others are in foxholes yet today and some are on waiting lists, topossibly receive the care that they government promised them would be there upontheir return, but isn’t. We own them more than we can give, for they offeredand in many cases gave all for us.
I took this, when I was visiting the Arizona Memorial, inPearl Harbor, Hawaii. I didn’t really think much of the image, until I got homeand looked at it. It was then that the meaning of the one survivor and thewheelchair to the side struck me. Today, there are fewer survivors of that dayand that war. But, there are still wars and survivors of wars, to be rememberedon this Memorial Day. Take the time to thank those you meet, it only takes amoment of your life to do so.

The original image was processed in Photoshop and was furthermodified here with Topaz Simplify Oil Painting and Photoshop Oil Painting.

May you and yours have a safe holiday.

Hazel Grant
05-24-2014, 11:17 AM
It's amazing how what we once thought useless can suddenly become just the right thing. And that's what this is. Thanks for the beautiful reminder of the freedoms we enjoy that were paid for so dearly. The lone person juxtaposed with the many memorial names gives an "everyman" feel to the image. There are real people who are more than names on a metal wall. The brown tones are good (better than black) for they give a somber, serious look.

Judy Howle
05-24-2014, 03:23 PM
A very effective treatment with nice colors and patterns. Nice work Mark!

Nancy Bell
05-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Very well said. My dad is a WWII survivor and like many others, he will barely talk about his experiences. I know it drained something vital out of him and it breaks my heart for all of those who suffer in similar ways. Outstanding image with the one person and the many, many names. For me, it is difficult to make out the wheelchair and thus the significance cannot be understood.

Mark Fuge
05-26-2014, 07:56 AM
Thanks all for viewing and comments. This is a special place to visit, for all Americans who can get there. Few of the survivors are left to tell the stories.