PDA

View Full Version : Demoiselle larvae

John Robinson
05-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Demoiselle larvae (C)
These are in the local River severn and will be emerging soon. Easily recognised by the front appendages and the three wide caudal tail gills.
Taken in usual tank set up with phoo back drop. Not keyed it out to which of the two species yet. used to be called banded Agrions.
On camera speed light with baffle and small slave above tank

D7100
Nikor macro 40mm
2 stacked images

60th @f8 ISO 200
CZM and Image Guru
Thanks for looking
JohnR

John Robinson
05-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Yes- Does look bretter Peter
Cheers
JohnR

Ron Conlon
05-24-2014, 05:16 PM
I like the strong diagonal and the unusual subject, bringing to our attention something most of us would never see.

Jonathan Ashton
05-25-2014, 06:28 AM
Lovely shot John, I too would have suggested eliminating the weed top right. Bought myself a tank - or so I thought! It was a small breeding tank I thought would have been ideal to contain these critters for photography but it is no good - it has holes in it! I actually got a dragonfly nymph out of the pond today it was a whopper I thought it was going to climb a stem and pupate but no such luck. I put it at the base of the stem and then it slowly swam off into the depths again.

John Robinson
05-25-2014, 07:48 AM
Thanks all
Jon- not too difficult to make with silicone aquarium sealer. You can get the glass cut.
John

Jonathan Ashton
05-25-2014, 11:30 AM
Thanks all
Jon- not too difficult to make with silicone aquarium sealer. You can get the glass cut.
John
Will do - completely forgot that option!

Steve Maxson
05-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Hi John. One of your best aquatic shots yet! The lighting is bright without being harsh, your stacking worked to give you good overall sharpness, and I like the diagonals of the comp. I have a different opinion about the stem in the URC. :S3: I like the way it parallels the other diagonals in the frame and I think it helps to frame your subject. In my view, the URC looks rather empty without it - a matter of personal taste, I guess.

John Robinson
05-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks Steve. Thats good to hear -Thats exactly why I left it - but everyone sees things differently.
Cheers
JohnR