PDA

View Full Version : Calculating height & distance...

Steve Kaluski
05-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Inspired by some of David S's images of Burrowing owls taking off I was hoping this guy was going to do the same, after the Jackdaws arrived and caught his/her attention. The posture just had me thinking if he/she was calculating the height & distance to fly back up to spook the Jackdaws. Sadly not, he/she just settled back down and perched on the lookout stone for a few moments longer.

I appreciate those who popped by & commented on the previous image, thanks.

Cheers
Steve

Subject: Little owl looking up (Athene noctua)
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 Gitzo tripod/Uniqball head
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/8 ISO1600 slight crop

Love this ball head it's just so fluid, it great! :tinysmile_shy_t:

Andreas Liedmann
05-22-2014, 01:25 PM
Hi Steve another very nice one from your series of the Little owls . Unusual pose you present here.
Good job in PP and capture. :cheers:.

Reminds me to the Aussie Frogmouth from the position POV.:w3.

TFS Andreas

Ivan Ellison
05-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Nice image, shows what you can do with a shot that many may discard -myself included- with the bird not looking at the camera.

Morkel Erasmus
05-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Nice pose and angle here, Steve. Light handled well as it looks to be getting a bit harsh.
Agree with Andreas about the pose resembling a frogmouth :tinysmile_shy_t:

Ian Wilson
05-22-2014, 06:51 PM
Good work Steve. I like your capture very much and I agree with Andreas, the likeness to a frogmouth in plumage and pose is unmistakable. Technically spot on, TFS. Cheers, Ian

Marina Scarr
05-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Really liking the 3 layers, FG, perch and BG. It came together very nicely here with the fun pose.

Grace Scalzo
05-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Adorable. I find myself right in his world. Love this series.

David Salem
05-23-2014, 12:31 AM
Im sorry he didnt take off for you. I understand your disappointment as he probably would have been parallel with the sensor. It can be a long waiting game. The only time that I can good IF shots is when my owls have babies to feed. The male has quite a few mouths to feed so he is taking off every 15 mins or so to catch insects. The trick is to anticipate the second he decides to take off. Not easy even when it happens every 15 mins. I like the upward stare and the nice green BG. Nice granite rock with the grass below also. Well done and Im hoping you get an IF of these guys some time soon.

vishaljadhav
05-23-2014, 02:47 AM
Intersting pose and the details are amazing
i like the composition
In case it suits you the grass can be toned down a fraction bit to get the bright spots off.
over all a wonderful image

Steve Kaluski
05-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Thanks folks and greetings from a very sunny and warm SA.

David, if this pair are 'sexually mature' then it won't be long and last year gave a good basis to now build on. :S3:

Thanks everyone. :wave:

keith mitchell
05-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Cute pose Steve, don't think I can add to the comments above, rocks my boat!
Enjoy South Africa.
Cheers Keith.

Binu John
05-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Excellent shot, Steve! Love the composition, pose and details!