PDA

View Full Version : theme: cave painting

Nancy Bell
05-21-2014, 07:17 PM
I photographed the base image of a giraffe from Botswana last month. Then fractalius, a texture from Lil Owls, ancient times, and approx. 6 layers from Topaz Simplify including underpainting, watercolor, oil paint III with reduced opacities and applied several times, a layer from Topaz Adjust, sunset. I did lots of experimenting so not exactly sure what I kept and what I discarded. But lots of layers blended.

Paul Lagasi
05-21-2014, 07:20 PM
Ok now this is a totally OOTB image, great thinking. Love the results, well done

Randall Farhy
05-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Agree with Paul, this is very creative. One of my favorite aspects is that the overall tone fits the region an ancient rendering of the subject would have originated. The way in which the Fractalius only outlined some areas adds to the effects of time. Quite interesting how the dark spot on the left edge anchors the animal's pose. This abstract is something I could envision as part of an art gallery presentation. Exceptional!

Mitch Carucci
05-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Wow. Well conceived. I like this!

Jackie Schuknecht
05-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Great idea well executed Nancy. I might try erasing parts of the outline a bit for a more authentic look. Very creative work.

Nancy Bell
05-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks all! Jackie, I thought of your idea but did not pursue it. Think I'll play with it now that you brought it up.

Mark Fuge
05-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Interesting creation. Glad to see I'm not the only one that gets carried away with the steps! Going with everything to the point of no longer knowing where you were or where your going! :bg3: But if it works as this one did, that's what counts. Nice, I won't comment on what you should have done, as you say ... you probably did it! :2eyes2: :5

Nancy Bell
05-24-2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks Mark!

Anita Bower
05-25-2014, 06:01 AM
Great job. A creative idea. Very successfully accomplished. I like the warm colors. I can tell it is a giraffe, but, also, it does look like a cave painting.

Cheryl Slechta
05-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Nancy, sorry I'm late getting to this one but I absolutely love it! I love cave paintings anyway but this is so creative, almost whimsical in its execution. I love the colors, the textures, the pose. I think it's perfect:S3: