PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Painted portrait of my dad

Judy Howle
05-20-2014, 10:45 PM
I restored this photo last night and hand painted it, then added the matte. I also used Perfect Portrait on the face and did some more retouching after. His eyes were gray-blue and I tried to make them that color rather than really blue. His hair got darker when he got older, just like mine did. (Thank goodness for "Miss Clairol", LOL.) BTW, hand tinting one that fades to "white" is NOT easy!!

Hazel Grant
05-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Beautiful. Would be nice to see the "before"

Judy Howle
05-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Thanks Hazel! here is the original. It was in good shape.

Hazel Grant
05-21-2014, 04:58 PM
In good shape, yes, but your colorizing brought it back to life. Nice job

Judy Howle
05-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Sorry about the size, I thought it was larger and didn't have time to replace it. Here is a larger one. I managed to reduce noise, enlarge and sharpen the original scan as the image was pretty small.

Nancy Bell
05-21-2014, 07:46 PM
Your work on these old images is very good! I imagine it requires very patient & careful processing, especially the skin tones. Working on these images that are very real people and places to you must be giving you a good sense of your family history.

Mitch Carucci
05-22-2014, 06:00 AM
Nicely done. Very subtle. Nice portrait. Very dreamy eyes. Did the photographer capture your father's personality?

Anita Bower
05-25-2014, 06:00 AM
Nice work. The soft colors are beautiful. Your project of fixing old family photos seems like a fun. When you write that you hand-tinted the photos, do you mean you used a brush and color in photoshop? You did a great job!