PDA

View Full Version : Hillsboro Light Revisit

Harold Davis
05-18-2008, 12:11 PM
A follow up to the others I posted recently with the added suggestion to "get it with the light on"!! i tried b&w conversion here and it didnt work as well at night as the color does.

D300, 18-200VR at 70mm, f/11, 2.5s, 0EV, ISO 640, circular polarizar. added polarizar so i could get a longer shutter speed to blur the water for a softer look. pp in CNX. didnt do much but slight crop, sharpened a few areas and NR.

comments and critiques are appreciated. this was a tougher shoot than i thought it would be, so some pointers for this situation would be greatly appreciated!!

Gus Cobos
05-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Nicely done Harold,
I like it with the light on. It adds character to the composition. I like the soft pale blues and the creamy mist of the ocean breaking on the shore. My personal taste, I would clone out that reflected speck of yellow light on the shore line..:D.

Gus Cobos
05-18-2008, 01:50 PM
P.S. and perhaps a slight clock wise rotation on the horizon...:D

Harold Davis
05-18-2008, 01:59 PM
if it aint level, then my leveling tool is broke!! looks dead on to me!! i agree about the reflection in the water. will have to work on that.

Roman Kurywczak
05-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Hi Harold,
There's nothing I like better as a moderator than seeing people work an image an adapt certain things that they have seen in other posts! The light, water movement from the long exposure are exquisite! I've debated the shoreline (I do agree with the light recommendation by Gus)........and for me a slight crop above the central sand mound......would minimize the shoreline and IMO keep the feel and mood. Very nicely done!

Michael Pancier
05-18-2008, 03:09 PM
now there's a shot I've not seen before. Looks great. what time did you shoot it?

Harold Davis
05-18-2008, 03:18 PM
that one was at 20:17:27.3. thanks for the comments!! it was hard shooting in the wind with a cheap @%% tripod!!! literally had the camera tied down with the camera strap to the stabilize as much as possible.

i found that the later it got the worse the pics were. i think it had something to do with all the dirty air. lots of moisture (humidity) and maybe some smoke too.

thanks again!!

Roman Kurywczak
05-18-2008, 08:46 PM
comments and critiques are appreciated. this was a tougher shoot than i thought it would be, so some pointers for this situation would be greatly appreciated!![/quote]

Hey Harold.........don't know how the heck I missed this the first time around..........ISO 400 drops you to 5 seconds........f16........you could remove the polariser to see easier and probably same effect.............f 22.........about 10 seconds...............more of the water look Robert had in his Canaveral shot..........but if you are going to try any of this...........rock solid tripod is #1 on the list!! Sorry to be spending your money so freely.......but for landscapes it is more important than most of the equipment you own!

Robert Amoruso
05-19-2008, 06:46 AM
Harold, I am loving this and in case no one noticed (I know Roman has), I am one for the slow shutter speeds and soft look of the water. Very seldom do I like to see the waves. Agree on cloning out that reflection on the near shore from the light. The color and mood is perfect.

Trick on the tripod if it can do this. Shorten the legs at least one extension and then spread them out one setting. This gets the center of gravity lower and distributes the load better making for more stability. Of course it does change perspective and may not work for all scenes. As Roman recommended, I would go for the lower ISO and longer shutter speed in the 10 to 20 sec. range.

Nicely done and glad you posted this.

Grady Weed
05-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Roman and Robert are right on. And I would reshoot to get rid of the shore line in the foreground. It would be worth the effort. And go low with the tripod. Very nice concept. As you know I love lighthouses.

Don Lacy
05-19-2008, 06:16 PM
I very nice image i agree with everyone else abut the shore line, well done