PDA

View Full Version : viola

Ron Conlon
05-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Viola brought indoors to my setup: box lined with white paper, remote flash, photo background; tripod, D5100 200mm 1/200s f/16 ISO100; sharpened for web.
I wish the lower petal were sharper to the edge, but thought I would share all the same.

John Robinson
05-20-2014, 06:29 AM
One of my favourite plants Ron- especially the wild one (We call it Heartease) Nicely done. Not too sure aboutthe background colour but no big deal. Theres plenty of choices
Cheers
John

Ron Conlon
05-20-2014, 08:01 AM
Thanks. Perhaps I went too far with my new found freedom of having any background of my choosing.
I like the name--it sent me to Wikipedia, and although I have never heard it referred to by the US name, perhaps I don't travel in the right circles..
Extracted from wikipedia:
"...Heartsease, heart's ease, heart's delight, tickle-my-fancy, Jack-jump-up-and-kiss-me, come-and-cuddle-me, three faces in a hood, or love-in-idleness...johnny jump up [in US]".

Jonathan Ashton
05-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Very colourful I like the palette and the diagonal composition. We have some almost identical ones in a hanging basket by the kitchen window! DOF just a tad short, perhaps consider reducing magnification a little bit.

Arthur Morris
05-21-2014, 10:23 AM
Love the stunning colors, the BKGR, and the simplicity of this image. Who or what is Viola???

All that you needed to do was make another image where you focused on the front petal and then combined the two images with a layer mask to enjoy the complete and needed d-o-f....

Ron Conlon
05-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Thanks so much, Art. I think I am reasonably satisfied with my setup with respect to lighting and exposure, so your suggestion of shooting a focus series is well timed! Onward and hopefully upward.
Viola is what they call this plant at the garden center, a member of the violet family. The flowers are quite small, vary in coloration on the same plant and thus reward those who look closely.

Arthur Morris
05-21-2014, 02:55 PM
YAW Rob. With two or more exposures focused on different spots you simply blend them using Layers and either a Regular or an Inverse Layer Mask. For example, if you had a sharp one of the lower petal you could put that Layer on top of the original image, add an Inverse (Black or Hide-All) Mask, and paint in the needed sharpness with a White brush. (Hit B for brush,D for Default for the white brush.)

Steve Maxson
05-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Hi Ron. Before I read your remarks included with the posted image, I thought this is great - if only the leading edge of that front petal was sharp. :S3: Very cool background colors and a nice comp. Good suggestions above by Artie for you to consider for next time.

Ron Conlon
05-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Ain't no excuse when it's a flower in a box :w3. Thanks for all the kind comments.