PDA

View Full Version : Oystercatcher Ruffling in Heaven

Arthur Morris
05-18-2014, 07:48 PM
This image was created on a cloudy morning on the Fort DeSoto IPT with the hand held Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732108-USA/Canon_4411B002_EF_300mm_f_2_8L_IS.html/BI/6633/KBID/7226/kw/CA30028LIS2/DFF/d10-v2-t1-xCA30028LIS2), the Canon Extender EF 2X III (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732111-USA/Canon_4410B002_Extender_EF_2X_III.html/BI/6633/KBID/7226/kw/CA2XEF3/DFF/d10-v2-t1-xCA2XEF3), and the Canon EOS-1D X (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827036-REG/Canon_5253B002_EOS_1D_X_Digital_SLR.html/BI/6633/KBID/7226/kw/CAE1DX/DFF/d10-v2-t1-xCAE1DX). ISO 800. Evaluative metering +1 1/3 stops as framed: 1/800 sec. at f/9 in Manual Av mode. AWB.

One sensor up from the Central Sensor (not sure why on that…)/AI Servo-Surround/Rear Focus AF as originally framed (on the spot where the hood met the near wing) was active at the moment of exposure. Click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2013/10/31/if-this-doesnt-get-the-point-across-nothing-will/) to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial. Click on the image to see a larger version.

To see the original and learn about creating bird in heaven-style images see "Creating the In Heaven Look" blog post here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2014/05/16/creating-the-in-heaven-look-2/).

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome.

ps: this is a color corrected version of the optimized image that is posted on the blog.

Ian Wilson
05-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Hi Arthur, I like the innovative ways you have of showing off birds but in this case the whites are just a tad too bright for my taste. I feel the need to reach for my welding goggles. Cheers, Ian

Loi Nguyen
05-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Hi Artie, gorgeous eye and sharpness. I like the raised foot and the OOF FG and BG. As for the whites, I don't think it is hot, but I don't see a whole lot details. Is it because of the diffused light? Loi

Andreas Liedmann
05-19-2014, 01:20 AM
Hi Artie , nice behavior shot with lovely subtle colors and tones . Looks like a slight Hi key image all around , if you wanted it this way i feel you made a good job. If not i feel the image could stand some more tonal depth , by just bringing down the exposure mainly in 1/4 and 1/2 tones .

TFS Andreas

Arthur Morris
05-19-2014, 06:05 AM
Hi Arthur, I like the innovative ways you have of showing off birds but in this case the whites are just a tad too bright for my taste. I feel the need to reach for my welding goggles. Cheers, Ian

Thanks Ian. I do see the bright whites on the breast. The brightest RBG values are 247/248. I usually try to keep them at about 235. I may do this one over from scratch....

Arthur Morris
05-19-2014, 06:07 AM
Hi Artie, gorgeous eye and sharpness. I like the raised foot and the OOF FG and BG. As for the whites, I don't think it is hot, but I don't see a whole lot details. Is it because of the diffused light? Loi

Thanks for commenting. Lots of times WHITEs in soft light or fog will appear detail-less. It's just what is. Here I do feel that I went a bit too bright....

Karl Egressy
05-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Really nice pose and composition. I would clone out the two spots from the bottom to have pure white, if it were mine but it is personal taste.

Ivan Sjögren
05-19-2014, 12:47 PM
I love the heavenly look and I think you achieved the idea behind the shot. The blurred wing, the raised leg and the bg is spot on. I also think an Oysterctacher is a perfect subject for this kind of image, even though hard to expose correctly, the contrast between black and whites works well with the blurry white sand. Also that red eye and bill attracts focus, adds colour and makes it special.

If you make an re-edit try to darken the leg a bit more softly. As presented it creates a big darkened contrast when you see the brighter part of the leg continue behind the sand. Make it a softer transition!

Arthur Morris
05-19-2014, 05:07 PM
I love the heavenly look and I think you achieved the idea behind the shot. The blurred wing, the raised leg and the bg is spot on. I also think an Oysterctacher is a perfect subject for this kind of image, even though hard to expose correctly, the contrast between black and whites works well with the blurry white sand. Also that red eye and bill attracts focus, adds colour and makes it special.

If you make an re-edit try to darken the leg a bit more softly. As presented it creates a big darkened contrast when you see the brighter part of the leg continue behind the sand. Make it a softer transition!

Hi Ivan. Thanks for dropping by. Excellent point on the leg; someone mentioned the same thing on the blog.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Arthur,
This is an outstanding image and I really like it a lot, especially for its wonderful exposure, light and mood. I saw your original at your blog and I can see how you improve an already excellent image.
I agree 100% with Ivan regarding the transition between leg and BG as it could go lighter on the leg but there is something that just don´t look right to my eye and that is the leg in this post as it looks as if the leg was cut with a scissor! If this one was mine I would take the clone stamp and would clone with a very soft brush to loose the sharp edge of the lower part of the leg and make it blend in a more natural way with the white BG as it looks like the bird is levitating. Just my two cents.

Neil Burton
05-20-2014, 02:12 AM
I am with Juan Carlos, the leg looks like it was cut off :eek3: but that can be blended out into white. Overall a touch white but king of works with the blacks.

christopher galeski
05-20-2014, 03:31 AM
love this image,the detail in the feather's are superb,nice and sharp were it count's.well done.