PDA

View Full Version : Freddie's Little Man

Gabriela Plesea
05-18-2014, 04:13 PM
This is one of Fred's offspring, for those who haven't seen Fred yet take a look at Andre's B/W posted some time ago-he is a mean looking but very old male lion whom we always look for when in Mata Mata area (Kalahari). I wasn't going to post another lion image tonight (I shouldn't, for I posted way too many already) but I happened to find this image I quite liked (no chocked blacks, I hope) and not much work required, so here it is.

A 50% crop and no masking, no tricks of any kind, some dodging and burning, no NR on the BG, basic LR adjustments, CS6 re-crop and sharpening before posting. A late Sunday night post and not as special as the stuff some of you guys posted today. Just something to bid you all good night and to wish you a fabulous week ahead!

Taken at about 7 am, Nikon D3S, Nikon 500mmF4, F7.1, ISO 640, 1/1250s

Fred is really old, possibly around 16 years of age. We might never see him again. The images we took of him and his family in February this year are very special.

Rachel Hollander
05-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Hi Gabriela - very nice portrait of the youngster in sweet morning light. Color and detail look good. Maybe just back off on the sharpening in the tongue and mouth area the slightest bit. Overall, really nice one.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
05-19-2014, 02:22 AM
Hi Gabriela, this is really nice, shot in sweet light, excellent. Framing/crop works for me, but I might just pull in the RH slider in Levels to say 240, yes there are white highlights that blow, however I would forget those, it just lifts the image. Re sharpness I'm OK, to me it's the barbs of the tongue you see, so I feel it's OK as presented. Techs looks good too.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
05-19-2014, 02:48 AM
Hi Gabriela , looking good for me as presented , but would follow Steve suggestion to get a bit more life in the colors and tones . Nice job in PP though.

TFS Andreas

edwardselfe
05-19-2014, 03:03 AM
Gorgeous portrait - nothing really to add. And a nice story behind it.
Thank you for sharing.
Ed

Gabriela Plesea
05-19-2014, 01:39 PM
Thank you all so much for your comments, much appreciated.

Steve, I have done an RP but the change is so subtle, not sure one can tell the difference? Tried not to spoil it by doing anything over the top. Rachel, I backed off a tad (a tiny tiny tad) on the sharpening, thank you:w3

Have a lovely evening, here in Hluhluwe (one of the warmest and most humid places in SA) it is cold tonight and for the first time in many months I am wearing a warm fleece, still hot during the day but what pleasant temperature now at 8:30 pm, calls for a nice glass of red wine:cheers:...

Morkel Erasmus
05-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Lovely light and expression here, Gabriela. Sharpness in the OP was fine for me too. Slight improvement in repost too.
:5

Gabriela Plesea
05-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Thank you so much Morkel, you are so kind with your comments - much appreciated!

Have a wonderful week-end,