PDA

View Full Version : Little owl

Steve Kaluski
05-18-2014, 10:45 AM
This was from one of our earlier encounters as we got to know each other. As an initial offering I dropped off an old rotting log (courtesy of the quad bike, too big & heavy to haul) as the log was full of nice, juice bugs & beetles which provided a good source of 'protein'.

I wasn't expecting him/her (as you can't tell what sex they are) to get so close, but hey... so I had to go for a tighter crop. Daniel, same BKG as previous, just a few weeks difference and light, although distance to hedge is greater so a better compression!

You can just make out the layers (like an onion skin) within the yellow of the eyes, they are not flat/solid yellow which I must admit I find interesting. :tinysmile_shy_t:

Thanks to those who swung by & commented, cheers.

Cheers
Steve

Subject: Little owl on rotting old log (Athene noctua)
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 500f/4 plus 1.4x Gitzo tripod/Unique ball head
Exposure: 1/800s at f/5.6 ISO2000 ​(FF on width)

Binu John
05-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Excellent shot! Very sharp! Excellent background, composition and feather details!

Gabriela Plesea
05-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Hello Steve,

I find this image faultless, whichever way I look at it. It just so works for me, this (super-sharp where it matters) subject against an impeccable BG. Each and every feather is there in great detail, perfect pose, natural colours (love that deep green BG, by the way), lovely textures on the wood/perch. No noise, no distracting bits, just those amazing eyes looking straight at me as I sit here and suddenly realise I might have fallen in love with your owls:tinysmile_shy_t:... Cannot get enough of these images, please keep them coming!

Warmest regards,

gail bisson
05-18-2014, 07:16 PM
This is very nice Steve.
The square comp has been well thought out and really works with the oval shape of the log. Wonderful, clear look at the feet.
Excellent IQ and great exposure and IQ.
Well done,
Gail

Loi Nguyen
05-18-2014, 10:30 PM
"You can just make out the layers (like an onion skin) within the yellow of the eyes, they are not flat/solid yellow which I must admit I find interesting. "

Steve, brilliant observation. You asked me about this before, but I forgot to look. Went back to look at my owls and there it was!

Regarding the image, lovely shot, can't add much to the above. if I have to find something to say, I'd say the OOF log in the Bg is a wee bi distracting and if you could lower your shooting position a little bit, perhaps you could have gotten it out of the image. TFS. Loi

Steve Kaluski
05-19-2014, 12:38 AM
Steve, brilliant observation. You asked me about this before, but I forgot to look. Went back to look at my owls and there it was!

Glad you saw it Loi, as often people just see it as a solid yellow, or they enhance it. I think it was on the previous post that Joseph made a point, that how close these are to your Burrowing Owls (by the way, a great Canadian wine producer), it would be great to put them side by side. :S3:

Andreas Liedmann
05-19-2014, 01:05 AM
Hi Steve , stunning clear shot , combined with your PP skills . Great stuff !!!! Comp works so nice :cheers:.
TFS Andreas

Richard Unsworth
05-19-2014, 01:39 AM
Superb

Jonathan Ashton
05-19-2014, 05:04 AM
Lovely shot fine details suoer eye contact.

Neil Burton
05-20-2014, 04:34 AM
Lovely little fella, nice perch. Super detail too Steve.

Morkel Erasmus
05-22-2014, 05:00 PM
Cracking portrait here Steve!