PDA

View Full Version : Royal Perth Dawn

Don Railton
05-18-2014, 04:49 AM
Hi Guys

This an image taken at the same shoot but a little later and more to the right of my last post... It's a composite of 4 images stitched together and then cropped to the bits I like. As a by the way, the Yacht club shown here is the club that based the first successful challenge to the Americas Cup back in the late 70's. I remember walking to work every morning past a boat being built, it was too big to fit in the shed it was being built in and bits stuck out either end. At that time it was just another yacht to me, I found out later it was called Australia II... the successful challenger.

This image was taken with my 1D4 and the 24 to 70 F2.8 at 70mm, sitting on a tripod.
30 sec at F14, ISO 250, manual mode.

I stitched together the raws images using CS6, leveled using the masts and reflections as a reference, cropped to 3:1 ratio then used a luminosity mask to lighten the boats about 8% to add a hint of detail. Thats about it except for a lot of dedust spotting. I dident sharpen or NR, did not think it needed it.

Don

Morkel Erasmus
05-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Hey Don. This one isn't really drawing me in. I think I would have liked it shot a bit wider, but the densely packed boats just make it seem cluttered to me.
Perhaps a "smaller" stitch so you can have some more sky with those pink clouds in?

Don Railton
05-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Hi Morkel

Thanks for the feedback. I know what you mean about the clutter, its the reason I lightened the boats to try and add a bit of detail and interest centre frame instead of a big black blob... I was also concerned there was no strong leading line...

regards

DON

Iain Barker
05-19-2014, 04:56 PM
A really nice scene Don. It makes me imagine being sat there. I like the fact you have lightened the boats so there is some detail and for me the most interesting part is the reflections of the boats on the water.

Don Railton
05-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks Ian..

Andrew McLachlan
05-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Hi Don, I agree with Morkel on the 'cluttered-look' of the boats...the sky is lovely...I like how you framed the two boats on the left of the pano but then I think you ended up with too many packed together on the right side. Perhaps a smaller cluster of boats against the lovely sky would have been the way to go.

Don Railton
05-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Hi Andrew

thanks for the feedback.. and I agree...

DON