PDA

View Full Version : Japan's Rainbow Bridge

Mark Itol
05-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Japan's Rainbow Bridge -- so called after its multi-colored lamps that light up at certain times of the year -- stands against the vibrant Tokyo metropolitan skyline. A rainbow-colored cruise boat compensates for the fact that the bridge was not lit up to its namesake when this photo was taken.

50mm, ISO 100, f/11, 8 secs, manual exposure, tripod, cable release, MLU
http://markitol.smugmug.com/Nightscapes/Japan/i-jLq6fNC/0/XL/IMG_2259s-XL.jpg

Don Railton
05-17-2014, 06:43 AM
Hi Mark

Loverly colour in the sky and a very pleasant image overall. The colourful boat is nicely positioned IMHO, and the moving boats add interest. My only suggestion is to shoot a little earlier (~ 10 minutes, assuming this is a sunset..) so you still end up with a little more detail on the buildings and especially in those black headlands mid frame... there is lots of nothing there which is doing nothing for the image IMHO. Apart from that, Well done..!

Don

Mark Itol
05-17-2014, 07:34 PM
Thanks, Don. I agree with you -- I wish there was more detail on those headlands. Will try your suggestion next time!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Don Nelson
05-19-2014, 12:47 AM
I agree with Don on the lack of detail, but you might want to combine 2 or more shots -- earlier you would not have to vibrant sky colors in the background
A typical way to handle this would be a mid-ground image a bit earlier (as Don suggests) then combined with the image here. You could try HDR (carefully so not to get the typical grunge look) or just some layers and masking. Keep the detail in those black areas down to just a hint or so. I love this bridge when its lited around the Christmas shopping season.

Iain Barker
05-19-2014, 04:46 PM
What a fantastic location. I like the difference between the stationary boat and the two moving boats and love the colours in the sky.

Andrew McLachlan
05-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Lovely composition and colors...more detail would have been nice as mentioned, but this one is still a keeper. Nice work!

Mark Itol
05-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Thank you all folks for the feedback. So much learning from this site. Will definitely try your suggestions next time!

Morkel Erasmus
05-22-2014, 04:55 PM
Besides the overly dark land masses, this works very well. Pleasing colours, composition and nicely exposed!
I agree blending exposures would have been the way to go here...