PDA

View Full Version : Eager to Learn Spotlight Image for week ending Apr. 4th, 2014: Thinus Schoeman - An eye between the stripes

Daniel Cadieux
05-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Congratulations Thinus!

I was in two minds about uploading this image, firstly because the cattle egret is so dominant in the image, and this in a wildlife forum, and secondly because birds seldom make good subjects for monochrome conversions.

For me though, it is the zebra in the image, in combination with the egret, that I really like. It is also because of the important part that the zebra plays in the image that I decided to go ahead and upload this as a theme entry.

If however the moderators feel the image doesn't qualify for the theme, I will gladly remove it.

Now more about the image. I visited my local nature reserve last weekend and came across this lone zebra with the egret as companion. I noticed the zebra looking back and quickly moved my vehicle a yard or two forward to get in line for the view as captured in the image.

For me the the turned head of zebra and the prominent eye are what make the image special for me.

Camera Model Canon EOS 70D
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/1000
Av(Aperture Value) 5.6
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 800
Lens EF400mm f/5.6L USM
AF Mode AI Servo AF

Basic editing and monochrome conversion done in LR5, before adding a bit of canvas at the top in PS Elements 12. Sharpening and noise reduction done in Camera RAW.

I have along way to go before i will feel comfortable with my post processing skills, so any advice will be welcomed.

Critique and comments welcome please, and thanks for looking.

Diane Miller
05-26-2014, 03:42 PM
I love this! Congratulations!!