PDA

View Full Version : Black Grouse display (2)

Andrew Robinson
05-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Sorry guys, last one promise!

Canon 7D.
Canon 300mm f 2.8
1/2500 sec, iso 400 f/3,5

Hide and tripod. Really nice morning with residue of snow in background. I know it is a bit big in the frame for some peoples likes but it happens so quickly it is rare to get them perfectly framed.
Thank you for your comments on my last post, they are much appreciated.

Andrew

Andy Shepherd
05-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Another beauty, Andrew. Exposure has been handled very well, and the pose is very nice too. You have some nice detail in those lovely red combs and I am really liking that view of the under-wing. Top shot, matey.

keith mitchell
05-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Hey Andy you are really showing us how to take pictures of Grouse, that F3.5 certainly works very well, another cracker mate.

Cheers Keith.

Mike Poole
05-15-2014, 04:16 PM
The best Grouse lek shot I've seen this year - excellent work

John Robinson
05-15-2014, 04:28 PM
I agree !
You are certainly showing the big boys Andrew!
Great work. You might even get a smidge out of the blacks but a very minor point.
JR

arash_hazeghi
05-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Great pose and light, the environment and calling pose are great but like the previous one some of the blacks are blocked and lack detail. I would try to recover them in post.

TFS

William Dickson
05-15-2014, 05:33 PM
very nice Well done :S3:

Ian Wilson
05-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Another super shot Andrew. No problems with the framing for me. Camera settings look good. The question of detail recovery from the blacks is a vexing one - for small web file display it needs to be exaggerated a bit to be noticed. Regards, Ian

Sidharth Kodikal
05-15-2014, 06:44 PM
You're nailing it with these grouse display shots Andrew, and I hope you'll share more. Light and overall setting quite stunning like the last one. Head turn and calling pose with the jump is a big plus. Darks a tad blocked as mentioned.

christopher galeski
05-16-2014, 02:59 AM
good capture Andrew,nice pose,some nice detail,well done.

Steve Kaluski
05-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Hi Andrew, nice incoming shot.

I agree with Arash that in pulling back the Blacks & in part, the shadows, even a hint less contrast will reveal more detail. Likewise I feel the WB is a tad off which is perhaps giving that 'saturated' look, highlighted by the red combs, as they are starting to fill in too, losing definition. it just gives a little more 'cleanliness' to the overall colour palette IMHO. Just took it into LR and I think just a few, simple little tweaks and it will elevate the shot to a 'stonker' of a shot. Great to see you out & about, these are great subject to shoot, well perhaps in one sense of the word. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Binu John
05-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Another stunning shot of the Black Grouse display! Love the action light and background!

David Salem
05-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Great job on catching the action. Looked at your first post and the blacks are better on that one but still a Killer frame!! Very nice.