PDA

View Full Version : Dagga Boy

Andre Pretorius
05-15-2014, 01:00 PM
These old bulls are affectionately called "Dagga Boys". Dagga is a slang word for freshly mixed cement, and often these buffalos look as if they are covered by wet cement after a mud bath. Notoriously short tempered and dangerous, these old bulls demand respect from humans and predators. They never surrender without a fight. This particular individual had a piece of grass stuck with mud to his boss, in two minds to remove it, what do you think?
Techs:

Nikon D3S with 300 F2,8
ISO 8000
1/1250 @ 5,6

Image captured in Hluhluwe Game Reserve on Manganene Loop.

I have found that even the best digital sensors struggle with shining blacks, Velvia film never did:eek3:

C&C welcome

Tobie Schalkwyk
05-15-2014, 01:40 PM
Nice shot, Andre! I would not remove the piece of grass because for me it adds to his typical 'Who cares?' attitude. Amazing beasts!

Andreas Liedmann
05-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Hey Andre , i know a solution for the blacks, put a fresh Velvia into the D3 and fire 36 shots and then go home………. LOL. Just try to be funny.
Cheers Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
05-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Hi Andre back to business.
Seems to be a big boy. Does look good in terms of crop /sharpness /detail and colors , nice to see the eye.
Only thing is for me , it just looks to light in 1/2 and 3/4 tones , just my 2 cents.Meaning just in the subject.

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
05-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Hi Andre - He does seem to be a big dagga boy and I like the caked on mud. Personally, I'm not a fan of the piece of grass but as you know I also don't generally clone. Overall, I feel the image is a little tight too. I want more room below for the legs and feet and a bit more above too. I agree with Andreas on it being light in the midtones but you should be able to fix that.

TFS,
Rachel

edwardselfe
05-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Hi Andre - yes I would try to get at least some blacks in there as the buff looks more grey than anything else. I would leave the grass as I think you might leave evidence of removing such a large object and I think it adds to the image.
He's an impressive guy.
Ed

Andre Pretorius
05-16-2014, 03:05 AM
Thank you all for comments!

What suggestions do darken 1/2 and 3/4 tones? How do I isolate them without painting a mask?

Steve Kaluski
05-16-2014, 05:07 AM
Hi Andre, my first impression when I saw this was exactly as per the above feedback, give this boy some attitude and give him some depth of colour. How far you take it is obviously personal, but you need to really give it some guts. I like the comp, but also may have tried to also get just a head shot, as the caked on mud really adds to the image and i love the detail in the head, glad the eye was open, with colour as it makes it.

My suggestion would be with the sliders in LR, graduate filter to bolster the depth of water then export & use some Midtone, Channel Curves for more mid tone & Selective colour, building the file in layers & masks so you can target the areas you want. Use the highlight slider and selection brush to help the highlights on the horn, likewise adding a % Luminosity adj helps too. Perhaps a hint more USM?

Hope the attached expands on the above. It has the making for a really good image Andre, perhaps go B/W or a slightly 'toned' version to give/add more character to the image?

TFS
Steve

Andre Pretorius
05-16-2014, 06:04 AM
Thank you for suggestions and advice, Steve!

Starting tonight I am redoing the study with new book shelves, worktops, wiring etc.
Will hopefully be finished by Sunday. We will be off the air until then:eek3:.

I shall redo this image from scratch following the suggestions, hopefully do RP on Sunday night.

Enjoy the weekend!

Steve Kaluski
05-16-2014, 06:08 AM
Look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour on Sunday/Monday, I guess that means Gabriela is cooking over the weekend then. :bg3:

Morkel Erasmus
05-18-2014, 04:25 PM
A mean-looking guy, love that eye checking us out. The OP did look a bit thin, and Steve's repost is a step in the right direction.
Leave the grass, and let's see that repost then...:bg3:

Andre Pretorius
05-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Did from scratch, used the new version of NX2 as RAW converter.

Got more detail, any better?

Andre Pretorius
05-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Did a conversion as well:

WDYT?

Tobie Schalkwyk
05-20-2014, 05:10 AM
Did a conversion as well: WDYT?

I like the color version more - looks more natural & has more details in the darks. Nice!

Steve Kaluski
05-20-2014, 05:36 AM
Andre, you have truck loads more detail & definition in the RP, I think though it's just looking a fraction light, try adjusting the Exp & Gamma, one at a time, but don't drop the Gamma too much, personal I think not below 90. B/W well I don't personally feel it brings out anything more that the colour does, but just my take. Perhaps others like Morkel may chime in, as he likes B/W too and could give you some options. :S3:

Andreas Liedmann
05-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Hi Andre , you send me the raw , so had a quick play with it and came up with this .
WDYT?

BTW i tried also B/W conversion , but i couldn't get it looking good or interesting , at least for me.Maybe with a lot of effort……….

Cheers Andreas