PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-rumped Flycatcher, Jiangsu, China

Craig Brelsford
05-15-2014, 12:39 AM
This spring, I finally got around to doing Alan Murphy-style setups on the east coast of China. Here's one of the results. The yellow-rumped flycatcher is endemic to East Asia. This male may have spent the winter as far away as Sumatra and may breed as far north as the Russian Far East. Note the camera I'm using: Nikon D3S. If I'd been using the new Nikon D4S to take this shot, what advantages would I have enjoyed? Your comments may be the straw that breaks the camel's back of resistance as I agonize over whether to upgrade. 600 mm + 1.4x TC, F/11, 1/80, ISO 1600.

arash_hazeghi
05-15-2014, 01:04 AM
nice pose, BG with sharp details with a good HA. I would leave more room to the left. A perch decorated with some flowers or moss will take this to the next levels.

I don't use Nikon but I'm sure D4S will bring many new features to the table for you.

TFF

MiroslavMaric
05-15-2014, 01:04 AM
Sharp bird and nice colors. Like the details and position of the bird. BG is well balanced in tone and color. It looks me that only some details on yellow between wings are missing. Nice! Cheers! Miro

keith mitchell
05-15-2014, 02:28 AM
Craig agree a little more on the left, but that apart the bird and the BG is superb, not sure about flowers or moss think this bird more than holds it's own.

Have seen work taken with a D3S over the years and have always been very impressed ,now have the D4 which I am still getting to know but like a lot, after saying this Craig

this image taken with your D3S will take some beating.

Cheers Keith.

Satish Ranadive
05-15-2014, 02:45 AM
Simple and very very sweet image of beautiful bird.

Regards,
Satish.

Joseph Przybyla
05-15-2014, 08:39 AM
Hello Craig, beautiful bird nicely shown. Striking in appearance.

Daniel Cadieux
05-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Beautiful bird, well photographed with good details and nice colours. Great BG. Perch a bit plain but I like its curve. As posted I feel that pointing your lens towards the left about one inch and up 1/2 inch would have given you the ideal comp.

I wish I knew more about Nikons to guide you, but whatever you choose best of luck with it!

Andy Shepherd
05-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Fantastic looking bird, Craig. Other than the points raised re the comp, I can't fault it.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Craig, this is a really nice image. Lovely FC, light and super pose. Details canīt get any better and head turn worked out pretty good. I am a Canon user so canīt comment on your gear but a friend here in CR
uses the new D4s and it blew his mind as now he is able to shoot at super hight ISOs as 6400 without hesitation.