PDA

View Full Version : Owl with a full moon

Nancy Bell
05-13-2014, 12:35 PM
I photographed this hawk owl on the Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal last year. This particular species is unique to these islands. We lit the owl with a flashlight. I added the moon. Effects used were topaz buz sim, a bit of fractalius, and pixel bender oil paint on the moon.

Dennis Bishop
05-13-2014, 07:12 PM
It was a great idea to use a flashlight, and the beam was diffused enough to make it look natural. I'd have been afraid that the light would've scared it off, but I suppose there was nothing to lose. The pixel bender effect on the moon works very well, and it's a plus that the owl is looking toward it. The colors are great and nicely distributed within the frame.

Jackie Schuknecht
05-13-2014, 09:30 PM
I like how the owl looks shocked and is looking at the moon (more or less). Great colours from the processing and I like all the black negative space. Great find.

Mark Fuge
05-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Nice image and application, Nancy. Like the owl and it's reaction. I might have inserted an image of the mood rather than create one. The moon's shape is off, but otherwise like the image and the colors.

Anita Bower
05-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Creative and lovely work. I like the effects very much. The flashlight seems to have worked perfectly. I really like the colors and the position of the owl's head. The moon is fantastic! I love it's not perfect shape and the colors in it. I'm wondering what it would look like to bring the moon closer to the tree and higher up, and crop off some on the right.
I recently read a book about the Sunderbans in the Bay of Bengal: "The Hungry Tide" by Amitav Ghosh. Are you familiar with it?

Nancy Bell
05-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks all for your comments. Anita, I like your suggestion about bringing the moon up, more in line with where the owl is looking. I never meant the moon to be "real" and wanted the more abstract look. I am not familiar with the book but will check the library.