PDA

View Full Version : Black-throated Diver

MiroslavMaric
05-13-2014, 12:16 PM

Canon 5DIII, 600II L + 1.4TC, handheld, natural light, f8, 1/1600, ISO800, full size is 4753 x 3090.

This year late winter time & late afternoon, a moment after dive out.

PP: NR of BG. Location: Croatia.

Thanks for viewing and comments.

Cheers! Miro

andresleon
05-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Great detail and sharpness on the beak and feathers. Love how low you got to capture the bird at eye level. Wish you had not clipped its back, though. Background is gorgeous!

Raybel Robles
05-13-2014, 03:16 PM
Lovely image. I like the overall color of the scene and the water drops adds a perfect touch. The bird is on perfect focus. If the back of the birds wasn't clipped it would had been an over the top shot.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-13-2014, 04:57 PM
Very lovely image Miro!
Super sweet light, beautiful subject and great details to celebrate! Those water droptlest put this one over the top!

Diane Miller
05-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Striking! I'd be tempted to crop from the top. about halfway to the bird's head, as not much is happening up there. I wonder how it would look with the raw file processed with somewhat lower contrast.

Arthur Morris
05-14-2014, 07:49 AM
Lovely light, bird, and I love the water drops. Clipping the virtual feet off a swimming loon is, however, a mortal sin....

MiroslavMaric
05-14-2014, 08:59 AM
Thanks for comments to all, I'm glad you like the photo. Regarding clipping of the back I guess you mean the black is oversaturated. I just checked my raw and there is no saturation in black. My jpg export action in photoshop did some hard visible issues. I did the link of photo only, no upload, so below is the file output of original raw (save as for web only) and according to my monitor and histogram I do not see any clipping in the black. So from my point of view the exposure was roughly the right one, the rest is the PP. Thanks again for comments. Cheers! Miro

http://s3.postimg.org/5bo8t6xib/plijenor_5745_1.jpg

arash_hazeghi
05-14-2014, 09:18 AM
I like the low angle and relatively calm water plus the water drops. exp. was good. The repost lost sharpness. I would take the original and just add room to the right without touching anything else.

TFS

Arthur Morris
05-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks for comments to all, I'm glad you like the photo. Regarding clipping of the back I guess you mean the black is oversaturated. I just checked my raw and there is no saturation in black. My jpg export action in photoshop did some hard visible issues. I did the link of photo only, no upload, so below is the file output of original raw (save as for web only) and according to my monitor and histogram I do not see any clipping in the black. So from my point of view the exposure was roughly the right one, the rest is the PP. Thanks again for comments. Cheers! Miro

Miro. No. By clipping the back they meant that you cropped much too tightly. Loons swim with their feet behind them so it is best to leave a decent amount of room behind the bird so that folks can imagine that there is room for the (virtual) feet if we could see into the water. I am glad that you have the extra room behind and would love to see a repost.

MiroslavMaric
05-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Loons swim with their feet behind them

Ok, sorry for misunderstandings. This winter time I spent few hours watching Black-throated Divers on 2 different places. During this time their feet were visible only short moment during dive in. During regular swimming and dive out no way to see them. So I have no experience with this birds and thank you, I learned! Thanks for comments and viewing! Cheers! Miro