PDA

View Full Version : Simply... a Tiger!

Steve Kaluski
05-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Having just recently had some correspondence with two good friends of mine who are HUGELY passionate about the conservation of these animals, I thought I would post one of these magnificent, yet highly endanger species.

This was perhaps one of the first Tiger encounters I had and where the shooting angle was a little unique, perched high up on an elephant. You sit on a seat inline with the body, better than when you 'straddle' it, which did happen for a morning, not the most comfortable of rides, but the best 4x4 you can have. This Tiger was quite chilled out in the early morning, just watching the world go by, or in this instance, an elephant go by. I must admit, I have been privileged to see and photograph a lot, but this is perhaps one of the best and most impressive animals you can encounter, especially when you stare at each other and look into those eyes. It's also amazing to think, an animal of this size and colour combination can disappear into the vegetation and be only feet from you.

Cheers
Steve

Subject: Resting Tiger (Panthera tigris tigris)
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/320s at f/7.1 ISO400 almost FF

Rachel Hollander
05-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Steve - that's one gorgeous image and tiger. The angle isn't ideal but given the look he is giving you I don't think you wanted to be any lower. I wonder how high he can jump? Excellent detail and sharpness and he blends in well to the habitat.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
05-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Hi Steve , always great to see a wild tiger.
Love your description of your encounter with them.Did not know that you have been to Ban.I have been there too, long time ago at analog times.I did two personal afternoon rides there(you know how they are).I must say i was really surprised where they can walk (the elephants).In one case i was sitting on the elephant back and had the Tiger on eye level !!!!, i can tell you my heart was bumping.I had the 500 on the cam and had to tell the Mahout to back off with the elephant, because i could no longer focus. That was exciting !!!!!

Regarding the image , sharpening does look better than the wartie .Back at the Eizo :bg3:.
Nice tones and very nice colors, you handled the contrast very good in capture.Only thing i would do is toning down the very light piece of grass in front of the left leg as viewed.

TFS and cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
05-13-2014, 12:07 PM
I wonder how high he can jump?

Not something I wished to find out, but far enough based on future sightings! :w3

Tobie Schalkwyk
05-13-2014, 12:08 PM
Great shot, nice focus on the face! One only realises how big these cats are when you see them in real life. Nice one! :5

Steve Kaluski
05-13-2014, 02:13 PM
Did not know that you have been to Ban

Yes Andreas, stayed there for about 8 days, about 10 minutes from the reserve and meant we were able to get in the queue quite quickly. I still think Ranthambore is the best for many reasons.

Thanks Tobie.

Gabriela Plesea
05-13-2014, 02:24 PM
Hello Steve,

A very special image, thank you for this post!

I have been watching some documentaries them on Animal Planet recently, would love to see them in their natural environment.

Don't know how you achieved this from the back of an elephant, the one time I did an elephant ride I remember being rather uncomfortable and those little elephant hairs penetrating through my jeans and burning my skin, I remember the ellie was in a hurry to get to his treat and rushed towards one of his handlers by the fence, I nearly fell off and the guests took some fun (well, they thought it was fun) images of me, my cap flying and my hands desperately holding onto the back of the elephant.

This is one gorgeous tiger and I love the colours, also that graceful pose and the look he's giving you (as if you owed him money or something!).

Rachel, I think these guys can jump big time! They are supple and have great muscle tone, built for the kill and can swim as well...

Great capture Steve, PP work impeccable as always, like the crop very much, I really love those eyes...

Warmest regards,

Don Railton
05-13-2014, 11:26 PM
Hi Steve

These are my favourite cats... they are so very impressive to see in the flesh. I saw some I think at Longleat when I was young and single (35+ years ago) and that image has been in my mind ever since. I would be very happy with this image just as it is, not sure how you could get such a good image when looking from what must have been a close distance.. Think I would be trembling too much. Many thanks for showing.

DON

Nancy Bell
05-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Simply...stunning!

Morkel Erasmus
05-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Lovely cat, haven't seen one on here in ages since Harshad stopped posting. Lovely light in the eyes too, Steve.

Loi Nguyen
05-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Look at those big feet and the massive head. Wow! Lovely image design given the perch high up. Magnificent species, I wonder if i will ever see these guys in the wild! TFS. Loi

edwardselfe
05-15-2014, 05:29 AM
Gorgeous - nothing wrong with this at all. Maybe one day....
Ed

Andrew Robinson
05-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Absolutely stunning. Those eyes say everything, oozing confidence. A fantastic image Steve, I don't think I could have kept the camera steady!

Andrew

Neil Burton
05-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Stunning Steve, do not mind the angle as any lower this would have been a shot of some grass with stripes behind it :)

keith mitchell
05-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Stunning as been used a few times with the comments on this one Steve ,could not agree more.

Cheers Keith.

vishaljadhav
05-25-2014, 11:21 AM
interesting light due to the angle on the elephent
Sometimes these guys are so calm , great texture captured on the fur
i love the pose too, its not great time for composition from that back of the elephent , however this is managed nicely