PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Island Coastline 4 - Sunrise

Jay Gould
05-13-2014, 08:47 AM
Sunrise - Norfolk Island Coastline 4
Norfolk Island, Australia 2010

This is why I used to get up at 3AM!

Canon 5D2; 16-35@26; 1/6@f/20; ISO 100

I have done versions cropping the right side and also darkening the water a bit; this is still my presentation of choice.

David Stephens
05-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Not the same location (or a different view from the same location) but I like this the most. I love the rays of the sun, cotton candy tops on the clouds, the long aspect ratio. If the clouds extend higher, with similar colors and drama, I'd crop to show more of that and less of the FG; however, I know that may not be the case. When I've got an interesting FG and BG and drama like this, I'll try several options for placing the horizon and then pick a winner later. You've probably done this and my talk is just wishful thinking.

Jay Gould
05-14-2014, 12:17 AM
Thanks David; the clouds thinned pretty quickly above the crop.

Andrew McLachlan
05-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Hi Jay, this is my favorite of the series so far. Love the light...did you use Detail Extractor by chance, as it has a crunchy look to me

Jay Gould
05-15-2014, 01:26 AM
Hi Andrew, definitely been detailed! This is one where I like it as is; I wanted to see the ocean ripples - otherwise I would have done a long exposure and made everything silky.

Morkel Erasmus
05-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Nice mood here Jay. I don't like the way the sky and horizon is processed, it's too dark for the FG luminosity, giving it an over-HDR-ed look. You can go a little lighter without losing the mood you are after...