gail bisson
05-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Taken at Fort DeSoto in April @ 6:00PM
canon 1DX and 1.4 x
600mm
ISO 640
F 8.0
SS 1/1600
PP: Crop to vertical, decreased exposure by .3, levels, increased saturation, DE at 4% and USM to JPEG
Wish the grass was tack sharp and thought it would be at F8. Such shallow DOF with these long lenses and teles...
I have room right and left for this image and really struggled with the comp. Any suggestions truly appreciated.
Comments and critiques always learned from with thanks,
Gail

Joe Senzatimore
05-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Love the BG and that little blade of grass. Glad you didn't remove it.

Iain Barker
05-12-2014, 06:12 PM
A brilliant image as usual Gail. I don't think the composition could be better. Another vote for the grass to stay.

Karl Egressy
05-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Great preening pose and excellent IQ, Gail.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Very lovely bird and light here Gail. Nice sharpess and composition.

Jim Crosswell
05-12-2014, 08:56 PM
I like the pose, blade of grass, IQ and composition. Excellent image Gail.

David Salem
05-13-2014, 01:54 AM
Hope you had a good trip to Florida and Fort Desoto, I did. Nice looking shot of this preening Plover. The detail and the exposure look perfect and the eye contact makes the shot.
I actually dont like the grass because both times I opened this the first thought is the grass is part of the other leg, just for a second. It dosnt add anything to this nice image IMO due to the location and the angle it's in. Nice capture and look forward to more from your trip

christopher galeski
05-13-2014, 02:15 AM
Beautiful image,nice light and pose,sharp,and I like the the blades of grass.

Stu Bowie
05-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Hi Gail, love the soft light and the detail you have brought out on the feathers. Exposure spot on too. I can see quite a few comp versions, but if you want to retain the vertical, I would try something like this. I added canvas to the top, and came in on either side and took off the bottom. Just a thought.

Grass to stay. :w3

Daniel Cadieux
05-13-2014, 11:14 AM
I like the grass alot, and I love the splayed feathers and patterns it has created. I think this would have looked good as an horizontal with all those lines pointing to the right. Glad you had a good time at Desoto...

Andy Shepherd
05-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Original comp works for me and I really like the muted reflection, great exposure control too. Excellent work, Gail.

Sidharth Kodikal
05-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Beautiful light, pose and shooting angle. I just love this species. This individual isn't fully dressed for prom yet :)
Very interesting choice of comp. For a vertical, I prefer the OP comp. Nicely done Gail and looking forward to more.