PDA

View Full Version : Anna's Hummingbird Digita Oill Painting

Gus Hallgren
05-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Hi Folks: This is same Hummer I posted yesterday, though in my opinion I like this perch better. I took this little guy into Photoshop CC (BTW: I think paying $9.95 a month is a good deal as that updates, Photoshop CC, Bridge CC & Lightroom 5 with some other programs if I desire) QM'd the bird and perch, took it into the Oil paint filter and painted the bird only, OK, gave it minor processing, could have QM'd the gorget, and brightened it a tad as it was brighter in the original, which I thought was a pretty good capture. CC's always welcome.

Gus
90 goig on 19

Gus Hallgren
05-11-2014, 09:10 PM
Showing my years :2eyes2:

Randall Farhy
05-11-2014, 09:38 PM
Gus, this is one cool piece of abstract art work! The heavy strokes on the bird and perch are gorgeous. While I like the tones in the BG, I'm not so sure that I like the dark area. Perhaps only because it merges with the bird, and sets an anchor point on the lower right. Maybe it would add interest if it were spread along the lower edge a little bit more and didn't touch the bird? There are some edge artifacts on the left side of the head, and along the right edge of the breast, but those are easy cleanups. I think it's interesting how the paint strokes mimic the shapes and textures so well, changing direction where needed. The branch even looks like abstract wood grain complete with a knot!

Gus Hallgren
05-11-2014, 10:51 PM
Not as crisp & Clean as I like, However, all your suggestions are right on the money, Thanks for your kind CC's

Gus Hallgren
05-12-2014, 07:29 AM
OK, my final redo. All CC's appreciated.

Mark Fuge
05-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Nice shot Gus. I like the effect and the flow of the oil paint. It brings the felling of the feathers out into a 3D effect.

Not sure about the perch. It could work, but might have tired toning the effect of the Oil Paint down a little, to make it look a little more natural. But the pattern and colors are nice.

The one thing that I have found in using the Oil Paint in PS, that personally I have not cared for, is that the preset is heavy. I have used the Edit/Fade pull down to adjust it, in some images. As this is a feathered creature, I think the heavier effect is effective. But just note it for your info, if you have not tried it.

My lean on the BG would be to just tone down the dark area. I personally like the tones in the first image vs the mono tone of the last one.

But as they as say, Your Image ... Your Vision! :w3

Nancy Bell
05-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Gus, I like that only the bird & perch have been oil painted and the bkgd left smooth. This gives a nice contrast between the hummer and the bkgd, and keeps the bkgd from overwhelming the bird. I like the multi-colored bkgd best from the 2nd image and the hummer from the 3rd image. The oil paint effect reminds me of wood carving with the impression of carving tool strokes. The effect on the red gorget and the perch are awesome.

Jackie Schuknecht
05-14-2014, 08:51 PM
Think I like the second with the BG having the same tones. You are giving this filter a workout!

Anita Bower
05-16-2014, 07:04 AM
The last version is my favorite. If I think of this as a wood sculpture, I like it a lot. The processing gives it that wood-carving look. Lovely colors.